Colt 1921 Thompson .45 ACP Submachinegun

11 1/2" finned barrel with Cutts Compensator. Vertical finger groove

forend. 98% original receiver blue. 95% original barrel blue. 80%

compensator blue. 85% original buttplate blue. Original oil-finished walnut

stocks. Type "L", 50-shot drum magazine by Auto Ordnance Corp., New

York, NY. 99% Parkerized. 20-round blued box magazine marked with

1920 & 1921 patent dates. Lyman tangent rear sight. 1980s(?) repro black

hard case. ATF Form 4.

Thank You in advance for you information.

gunrunner,

You mention the gun has a Lyman "tangent" rear sight? Not sure what you mean by that, do you mean a Lyman adjustable (elevation and windage) rear sight? In addition, why do you think the sight is from the 1980's? Original Colt Thompsons all had Lyman adjustable sights. Do you think the sight has been replaced with a reproduction sight? If so, then the gun is obviously not all original.

That picture was posted on this board some months ago. I commented at the time, and Arthur agreed, that the barrel on that gun is not original. The barrell fins don't extend forward of the front vertical grip and there aren't the proper number of fins either. I'd check the rest of the gun very carefully before spending what Colt guns are going for.

gunrunner

I would suggest you review these posts.

I think pictures only tell you enough to decide if you want to go see it in PERSON.

I also think the price is high.

Drum would be worth up to $1,500 MAX, more like $1,250 or less.

Even, if we assume $1,500 for the drum then he wants $28k for the TSMG.

I think something like this might be more like $25k for the TSMG or less depending on what a physical inspection tells you.

You can see in the post my information shows the AVERAGE asking price was about $27k last year, remember that is asking price and in some cases with accessories.

I worry about that compensator as did Merry Ploughboy.

michael

Colt TSMG prices 2004

gunrunner,

Sig is right, the price is too high for a Colt with a replaced barrel. The internal parts should be scrutinzed closely also. The drum is an original 3rd generation Colt drum, but as pointed out earlier, could have used a little oil and maybe some cleaning over the last 60 or so years. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Better to find one with original parts and finish.

There are other Colt TSMG's in much better original condition then this out there.

If you need a few leads email me and I will email you back a couple likely prospects.

michael

It is really a shame when a Colt Thompson in this condition is being offered for sale at this high a price. A Colt Thomson (and drum) in this condition used to be referred to as a "shooter." gunrunner, you are getting some very good advice on this thread. If you have 30K to spend for a Colt Thompson, I too suggest you wait for a much better offering. In case you did not know, this Thompson used to belong to the Piermont, New York Police Department.

Its interesting how the same guns keep turning up - if it were not for this board and members I think this gun would have been dumped on someone a long time ago. I thought it was picked apart in prior threads.

Again this board is a service to the newby as well as the advanced collector and shooter.

If priced as a "parts gun", shooter it should sell for the fair and correct amount - as long as the owner passes it off as just short of "new" it will be spotted by members on this board. At least on Ebay they use the excuse "it came from an estate" don't know a thing about it!

We now know # 14326 is a parts dog in below average condition.......