ATF cashed check 10 months ago ....

Selling a gun. ATF cashed the check a couple weeks ago, but there is no record of the current transfer. How long from check cashing to pending is typical?

Remember you can call and ask the status if your the seller or if the "do" allow was circled.

And the status will be 'Pending'. That's all they will say once they have the money. Still, I always call about a month after the money clears, just to make sure that it is really in their system and not lost.

Silencer Shop shows Form 4 eFile taking 6 months, paper taking a couple of weeks longer.

Remember you can call and ask the status if your the seller or if the "do" allow was circled.

And the status will be 'Pending'. That's all they will say once they have the money. Still, I always call about a month after the money clears, just to make sure that it is really in their system and not lost.

Silencer Shop shows Form 4 eFile taking 6 months, paper taking a couple of weeks longer.

Eform form 4's haven't been a thing in years. Even silencershop sends paper forms. The news of eform form4s last week stating that they will be back by the end of the year was quite welcomed but as stated above, they have been promising its return for years...

They claim typically 90 days from when they cash the check to when it goes "pending"

I thought it was about 2-3 weeks from receipt of check until "pending". Supposedly to wait until the check clears. What is this 3 months stuff?

• 4 weeks later...

Called ATF again (called in December the first time). The woman I was finally connected with was not very pleasant. I tried to be deferential and polite.

Pending.

She said all she could recommend was to call "periodically". I asked if that helps and she said "no, it doesn't change anything"

Given her demeanor, I didn't dare ask why she then advised calling "periodically".

At some point I would think the ATF lack of performance falls under the "takings clause" of the US Constitution. Not that that matters anymore....

• 1 month later...

I mailed my check and my paperwork in on January 30th, 2021. They cashed my check March 13th of 2021 and the stamp came November 8th 2021. Dealer to individual. Guess I was lucky.

I was told by the dealer the process sometimes can take longer if the weapon has a long history (multiple) transfers, as they not only examine your transfer request, but they examine all the paperwork from the gun's history from past transfers.

Unfortunately, my prediction of a routine 1 year wait time for NFA transfers has turned true.

I also predict that it will get worse (with longer wait times and the same B.S. excuses being used -- FBI background check, COVID etc.) before it gets better!

I have been watching this thread with interest.

I have begun the process of buying a Thompson M1. I gave a down payment and my dealer sent the seller the transfer paperwork. The seller sent the paperwork, along with a check, to the BATF. After reading this thread, am I correct in believing that it could take a year for the M1 to transfer from the seller to my dealer, and then another year for the transfer from my dealer to me?! Is this the new normal?

Edited by Rabbit57

am I correct in believing that it could take a year for the M1 to transfer from the seller to my dealer, and then another year for the transfer from my dealer to me?! Is this the new normal?

2 form 4 transfers? Yes, possibly.

I have been watching this thread with interest.

I have begun the process of buying a Thompson M1. I gave a down payment and my dealer sent the seller the transfer paperwork. The seller sent the paperwork, along with a check, to the BATF. After reading this thread, am I correct in believing that it could take a year for the M1 to transfer from the seller to my dealer, and then another year for the transfer from my dealer to me?! Is this the new normal?

If the Thompson M1 was a C&R gun, and I presume it was, it could have transferred directly to you from the seller if you had a C&R license (regardless of if the seller was out-of-state). Of course, that doesn't help you now.

It's been a while since I transferred a Title 2 gun to a dealer, but several years ago it took quite a bit less time to transfer a Title 2 gun on a Form 4 to a SOT. My assumption would be that transfer would occur quicker than one year. Others may have more recent experience.

At that point, it's anybody's quess how long it will take to transfer to you from your in-state dealer. If current trends prevail then you're looking at approximately one year for that transfer.

Robert

My experience has been that a transfer to an out-of-state SOT license holder happens reasonably quickly. Several weeks to maybe 2 months. Once the gun has been transferred to your in-state dealer you file your form 4 to have it transferred to you. My experience has been that my form 4 have been approved anywheres between 3 and 12 months.

Of course, all of this experience has been "pre-Biden" and "pre-pandemic".

I sold a SBR and the (in-state) form 4 was sent in last April as I recall. I am guessing it will be April or maybe even May before the paperwork comes back.

And Robert is correct that a C&R license has been enormously useful. I bought my Thompson through a C&R transfer in 2019 and I was happy with the process. Of course it could always be quicker. In this day and age and with this administration I doubt that many resources are being directed at NFA transfers.

Edited by Player_To_Be_Named
  • Upvote 1

Rabbit, get a C&R. If it doesn't help on this transfer, it will for your next one!

Cost of $30 saves a $200 transfer and a year of waiting. No brainer....