33ZCxM.jpg
wdS93K.jpg

Hi Everyone,

I keep having problems the more I play with TSMG's!!

This time I have a Very early Savage 1928 serial 17000 range that has the pilot with no hole,

I thought it would be clever to put the original in a bag label it and replace with a pilot

with the hole,

However everytime I capture the spring. remove the piece thats holding it,

then move the bolt to the rear before letting it go forward, the spring bends as you

see in the picture..

any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by Haris357

Definitely change out the position of the buffer disc! I would also suggest replacing the original red buffer disc with one of the new polymer types when at the range. I like the ones that Board Member PK at Diamond K has for sale. Sometimes the springs do get bent or wear out and need to be replaced. I always recommend NOS GI springs.

Is your early Savage a Savage Commercial Thompson?

Damn, am it stupid, by having the buffer on the wrong side, it cuts down the length that the spring can work in!!!!

And yes, its a commercial thompson serial 17738,once owned by Memphis PD

Now you have the buffer position worked out do this. When you compress the spring on the pilot, put the pilot with the spring into position and from the back, use your finger to push the pilot so it is even with the back, the release the pin holding the spring. The spring will then push the pilot back and be secured in the actuator. Hope I put it into words for you to visualize.

Now you have the buffer position worked out do this. When you compress the spring on the pilot, put the pilot with the spring into position and from the back, use your finger to push the pilot so it is even with the back, the release the pin holding the spring. The spring will then push the pilot back and be secured in the actuator. Hope I put it into words for you to visualize.

Got it!! Wish I looked at Tracie's Book showing the pilot and spring before I stupidly thought I had a problem and posted the pics

with the disc on the wrong side!!I dont like the 1928 lashup. Doug Richardson told me it was a cure for a problem that didnt exist and they

ruined the perfect working 1921 design!

Have you sent a 28 actuator to pk to get milled and turned into a 21 assembly? If not you should.

I already own this one. I was considering putting it into a AO 1928A1 to put it back to 1921 specs for shooting fun.

And of course using the 21 buffer pilot/spring assembly with it

gNbi6j.jpg

Haris357,

That 21 style actuator looks like a milled down two-piece AOC West Hurley actuator to me. Maybe not, but I would be careful with that one.

Haris357,

Nope. That actuator is definitely an AOC West Hurley product. I have several WH actuators I use as display pieces at Thompson Shows of AOC WH parts that need to be replaced. I doubt very seriously PK would mill a 28 WH actuator to 21 style. Perhaps PK will join in the discussion.

Happy ending!!! First Picture With Original Buffer From WW2

fXrmDB.jpg

Next, New Urethane Buffer- Notice How its shaped Perfectly to Fit The Pilot

63Trfx.jpg

Now We "Capture" the Spring Using a Later Pilot with the Hole

1AlIKq.jpg

Spring Released and Pilot and Buffer Installed Correctly

4eBxwu.jpg