Cuba Thompsons

During TV news coverage of the recent US and Cuba activities, I thought I caught a picture on TV showing a Thompson carried by someone near Fidel Castro. Could not find the photo that I saw on TV, but found another. Just sharing for the board here. This one apparently of celebration after the Cuban missile crisis.

cb_cuban_missile_castro_waves_jef_ss_121009_ssh.jpg

I think Tino has that pic - one guy is his son, the other guy is his right hand man...??

Very cool pic though!

If memory serves me correctly quite a few of the ill fated anti-Castro invaders were armed with Thompsons during the invasion.

These of course would have been captured or surrendered to Castro's forces. It's quite possible that one of these Thompsons is the example in this picture.

I have seen this picture before. I don't have the particulars in front of me but I believe the chap with the Thompson was one of the revolutions major players and very close to Fidel. I know his name just can't recall it right now. I believe that there was a parting of ways and his compatriot was murdered by some more fanatical revolutionaries or perhaps some that were not as fanatical and saw him as a danger. So I guess I have a project. I bought one of my Thompsons from a fellow who was in Cuba immediately after Castro entered Havana in 1959.

Edited by canuck

The guy with the thompson looks like freddy mercury,im sure most of you dont know who he is though. Edited by MARK2112

I thought it was Freddie Fender. For those of us of an advance age,or are not "into" rock music, Freddie Mercury was a British singer with the group Queens (or Queen - can't remember which). Is this the silly season? I think Freddie Mercury died of AIDS.

The rascal with the Tommy may be Camilo Cienfuegos.

Check out Frank I's book AT11, page 56.

Probably the same TSMG.

Anyone old enough to be reading gun magazines in the late 1950s will remember the adds run by the Cubans offering the buy M1 rifles and carbines in the U.S. I'm sure they would have bought Thompsons if one was offered.

Jim C

If I recall correctly, at least some of Castro rebels were acquiring DEWATS and rewatting them. One of the stimulus (stimuli?) to the end of the DEWAT program was a Saturday Evening Post article by Ashley Halsey (?), Jr. (generally thought of as a pro-gun guy) telling that he bought a TSMG M1 or M1A-1 via mail order (a DEWAT) in his daughter's name (I think only 8-years old at the time) and "easily" removing the barrel, putting in a new barrel (probably from Numrich. . .) and testing the rewat on the range -- where it worked satisfactory. I had some records from Interarms (Interarmco) -- photocopies -- that included a letter from a retail gun dealer in New England in the late '50s inquiring when bayonets for the Johnson semi-auto rifles would be available because "hunting season was to start soon." THAT is not a joke! I had the actual letter or copy of it. I also heard (rumor from someone who knew Val Forgett) that Interarmco and or Service Armament Corp. were putting weak welds in the barrels of various automatic weapons during the DEWAT process so the welds could be almost knocked out with a steel rod. It was said that they just could not bring themselves to order the total deactivation (without the "ease of rewatting") of these weapons. I am not sure the story about Forgett and Interarmco is true, but that came from a guy who went into Service Armament when it was in Ft. Lee, NJ and was going to get a STEN. . . I think TSMG DEWATS had dried up by then, but you could still get M-3 Grease Guns ($49.95) and MP-44s ($49.95)in DEWAT form. BTW, even in the early to mid-60s, $200 for the tax stamp was still an awful lot of money. And I think Mark 2112 UNDERESTIMATED the age of many of the folks on this board. LOL

Should add, I believe that Ashley H. (whatever), Jr. was at one time an editor at American Rifleman magazine. I think that the NRA was at least ambivalent toward DEWATS and ultimately bought into the philosophy of "Who NEEDS a machine gun?" I think this has slowly (or maybe not so slowly) changed.

A little off topic , but we've left there some while ago . Does anyone have ant pictures of the Cuban Winchester 94 lever action 9MM automatic carbine with the Luger snail drum ?

Ain't that a combination of words you rarely see together ?

Chris

Chis,

I don't recall anything about a Win 94, but I do remember a article in a gun magazine in the late 1950 about converting a Win M1907 to 9 M/M.

If I remember correctly it was an American gunsmith working with the Castro rebels doing the work. This was before Castro announced he was a commie.

Even as a teenager I thought the whole thing was a ridiculous waste of time.

Been better off using the 07 as is.

Jim C