M1 buffer system in a 1928

Been looking at drawing and cut up recievers for the 1928 Thompson. It got me to thinking as to why a buffer system that is on the M1 Thompson, could not be used on the'28. The pilot rod would be turned down to avoid modifying the receiver with a larger hole. Then The spring would be installed through the hole reducing the chance of kinking the spring, the buffer would be dropped right over the rod.

Maybe, the hole would have to be enlarged just enough to allow the spring to be inserted, hhhmmm.

Acording to information on Doug Richardson webb Sight, the pilot hole in a M1 or M1Al receiver is in a different position than a 1928Al receiver. it is either higher or lower, I do not remember which.

a number of west hurley 28 thompsons featured an M1 pilot rod to which a small disc was tack welded. they were known to fail during fire and exit the rear of the receiver into your shoulder or chest. this is one of the reasons you see warnings to always replace west hurley parts with military parts.

One reason not to do this: The GI M1 buffer is worthless as a buffer. It has zero compressibility with the bolt forces involved, and instead transmits the shock directly to the rear of the receiver via the rigid rivets. The fact that the M1 pattern has held up so well is a tribute to the strength of the gun, not at all to the effect of the buffer.

Now, using the Richardson neoprene M1 buffer system or concept, maybe something could be worked out for the 28 that would install from the bottom. But, the one piece GI pilot is about as fool proof as it gets, and you'll never have to worry about it becoming part of your shoulder.

this sounds like a good idea

mnshooter -

what makes you say that the m1 buffer is harder than the 28 buffer?

the 28 buffer appears to be a phenolic resin washer, which is very hard stuff, about 55 times as hard as rubber

phenolic resin was around in 1921, they called it bakelite

did they use something different in the M1 buffer?

Edited by buzz

mnshooter -

what makes you say that the m1 buffer is harder than the 28 buffer?

did they use something different in the M1 buffer?

I believe the material is the same in both GI buffers.

The difference isn't in the phenol material (which, as mentioned earlier can crumble to pieces and allow the parts to impact unimpeded), but is in the way the M1 buffer is constructed, with two rivets holding the assembly together.

The rivets act as rigid posts, bypassing the phenolic material and transmitting any force directly through.

My own tests involved an arbor press and gauge, compressing and measuring the additional movement of the ram after it was pushing rather hard against the M1 buffer.

Until it created enough pressure to crush the buffer a very slight but measurable amount, which meant actually crushing the rivets, -there was no measurable deflection.

In comparison, testing the hardest neoprene buffer was like squeezing a marshmallow.

This was just an improvised test, but left no doubt in my mind regarding the differences in buffering effect.

Edited by mnshooter

D. Richardson at one time offered a two piece bonded neoprene / metal M1 style buffer. I have them in both of my M1's, they work great.

It would be great if someone would advance his design and start production.

PK's 21 style buffer system for the 1928's is hands down the best buffer system. It has a modern 28 style buffer disc and a 1921

style buffer tube that allows the use of the 1921 recoil spring. I have them in my 28 Hurley and both NAC-Colts.

Darryl

Edited by darrylta