Thompson Parts Kits

Concerning the issue of importation of parts kits, how will this affect the availability of the Thompson parts kits. If I want one, is it safe to wait a while or should I get one now. Advice appreciated.

You know,of course,if you wait,the kits will dry up and you will kick yourself for not having purchased when they were more plentiful and more reasonably priced....been there,done that.

You may want to check out Sportsmans Guide,if you are interested in a '28 kit.My newest catalog in the mail today has them on sale for $599.97,smooth or finned barrel.Item #AX6A1-100532.The ad says they are "in almost new condition".Not a bad price at all.They are $539.97 if you belong to their buyers club.

Bruce.

Got to agree with the Mad Scientist. How long are you willing to wait for an influx of cheap surplus items manufactured in the first half of the previous century in the last millenium? Buy one now. If a boat load of kits show up at a lower price then you buy some more and do dollar cost averaging.

Do the math.....

I am on my 2nd barrel in about 10 years. So figure I should hope to live another 40 years which means I need 4 more barrels...(done).

I tend to go through 3 blish locks in 10 years. So figure I need 12 more (almost there).

Still using the original lower parts... so only have two other sets to get me through.

This is one way to think about it, but to be honest, if I wasn't spending cach on other items, I would buy a few more sets.

I recently bought one of the rguns kits. While I wouldn't say they are 'brand new', they are about as good as you are gonna get for a kit like this. Not surface rust, overall condition in about 98-99%. On mine, the compensator had some scratch marks on it, and there were a few minor, minor dings here and there. Not brand new, but very close. Downside is that they only have finned barrels (I would have preferred a smooth one...).

-Matt

QUOTE (the Mad Scientist @ Jan 20 2006, 11:33 PM)
You may want to check out Sportsmans Guide...They are $539.97 if you belong to their buyers club.

My advice is not to do business with Sportsman's Guide. They've already jerked several of us around on the TSMG drum deal that's been going on for about 6 months now. They also just recently had a big snafu with AK mags. They often do not deliver what they promise but are more than happy to keep your Buyer's Club membership fee.

Buy Now! When I was a DUMB kid with money kits were 2-3 hundred at the gunshow, now look where they are. If you can afford one get it now as prices on Thompson parts like oil prices don't seem to come down far or for very long.

Had very mixed results with dealing with Sportsmans Guide in the past; some items are prompt and perfect, some are backordered till hell frezes over, some are just shit no matter what they say; and I keep sending back the shit. Took them four tries to get a functional XX mag out of them, should have kept the first one, it was 100% original dullite just like catalog only had been dropped on its feed lips. Should have unbent the lips but no I sent it back and they sent me a rusted out POS with worse feed lips.

Soprtsmans guide = shot in the dark.

BB