Has anyone ever gotten an ATF exemption for an AOW

I may have a chance of buying a fairly rare C&R AOW. It isn't registered. It's twin is on the ATF exempt list (listed by serial number). This one is 4 digits off. I can break down the gun and keep the parts and different locations so I'm in compliance but I'd rather have it together.

Has anyone petitioned the ATF and gotten an exemption?

I assume I'd send photos and the reason why to tech branch?

Thanks

Brian

I would send a letter referencing the letter in the link you posted, stating that you have the opportunity to purchase an essentially identical firearm and ask that all of them be removed from the NFA as a "class" and see what happens with that before you do anything else. A lot of things can be added, but it's pretty rare that anyone asks, and of course if you don't ask, you surely won't receive.

Most of the time submissions are sent by 02/07's for classification, just in case they rule against it, the firearm can be returned as a dealer sample and not have to be abandoned by a non-licensee.

Since everything is outlined in the letter already, I don't see how they grant permission for one, and not the rest? Best of luck, I think it's worth pursuing.

Hi Bmarvin,

While not exactly the same issue, "Trapper Carbines" of the 1892 Winchester with 15" barrels are often discovered and exempt from the provisions of the NFA. The same is true of some other short rifles that would normally be controlled by the NFA.

Good Luck,

Grasshopper

The gentleman that "found" the gun called West Virginia to first inquire if it is registered, even though the form isn't with the others, and second to ask about getting an exemption. Photos and a letter with the reason why were requested by ATF. They made no mention of needing the actual firearm.

I'v done it. I stumbled across an old High Standard Model S pistol, which was a smooth-bored pistol they made before 1934. There were several others listed by serial number in the C&R NFA-exempt list and I sent NFA Branch a letter requesting that my pistol be added to the list. I included photos of the pistol and the serial number where it was stamped on the major components. A couple of months later I got a letter informing me that my pistol had been added to the list.

It was actually pretty straightforward and painless.

• Upvote 1

I'v done it. I stumbled across an old High Standard Model S pistol, which was a smooth-bored pistol they made before 1934. There were several others listed by serial number in the C&R NFA-exempt list and I sent NFA Branch a letter requesting that my pistol be added to the list. I included photos of the pistol and the serial number where it was stamped on the major components. A couple of months later I got a letter informing me that my pistol had been added to the list.

It was actually pretty straightforward and painless.

Did you send the information to tech branch or just the generic address for transfers?

Thanks

Brian

It's been a while (2002) but I believe I just sent it to the generic NFA Branch address. I dug around and found the text of the letter I sent, FWIW:

December 12, 2002

Gentlemen;

I would like to request that a particular firearm be added to the list of Curios and Relics and have it removed from the purview of the National Firearms Act. The firearm in question is a High Standard Model “S” with the serial number 59493. These pistols are .22 Long Rifle caliber, but have smooth-bored barrels for use with shot shells. Other known examples of this rare pistol are all listed as Curio and Relics, but this particular one has apparently just come to light and this serial number is not among those on the C&R list.

In support of my request, I am enclosing three digital photographs, which show the following features of the pistol in question:

• The markings “HIGH-STANDARD MODEL “S”/ -.22 L.R. SHOT ONLY-“ which appear on the left side of the slide.

• The serial number “59493” which is stamped on the front of the grip.

• The last three digits of the serial number, which are stamped on the underside of the slide and show that the slide was original to this pistol.

If there are any questions you might have concerning this pistol, I may be contacted via phone at XXXXXXXXXX, by e-mail at XXXXXXXXXXXXX, or by regular mail.

I thank you for your consideration and look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Quick follow up.

I finally made a deal and have the gun.

Its a .22 Handy Gun with the wire stock.

I have the stock off the gun now so it's no longer NFA

I'll send a letter and photos next week asking for an exemption

Serial number 157 is already exempted

This one is number 158. Earlier I was told it was 153

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my layman's opinion, ALL those original Handy Guns and Game Getters should be removed from the purview of the NFA. I look around at all the AR-based "others" BATF is allowing and it seems ludicrous in the extreme to say that those old single-shot guns are some threat to the republic. They are collectors guns now and should be treated as such. They sure aren't going to be used to stage a mass shooting or even stick up a package store.

• Upvote 1

In my layman's opinion, ALL those original Handy Guns and Game Getters should be removed from the purview of the NFA. I look around at all the AR-based "others" BATF is allowing and it seems ludicrous in the extreme to say that those old single-shot guns are some threat to the republic. They are collectors guns now and should be treated as such. They sure aren't going to be used to stage a mass shooting or even stick up a package store.

Agreed 100%

bmarvin: FTB does classifications, sending to NFA slows the process as you have to hope they send it down the hall in a timely manner.

I sent it here

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives

Firearms & Ammunition Technology Division

244 Needy Road

Martinsburg, WV 25405