Howell Arms now offering EZ-Pull Spring kits for Semi-Auto Thompsons

Just thought that id mention that I run 4.5 gr of Red Dot with a 200 gr rnfp lead cowboy bullet in most all of my .45acps, 1911s, revolvers and AR .45s with no issues. I initially tried them in my WH but had an occasional issue so I tried some 230 gr RN but Im not sure the occasional feeding problems wasnt due to the heavy original springs and too light bullet. The reduced springs seem to do ok but I havent shot it much since then as Im still waiting for my sbr paperwork and Im thinking that a shorter bbl will also throw another wrinkle into the operation of the gun. Why waste $ experimenting with ammo in something thats going to be changed. I always run my loaded .45 acp rounds through a lee bulge buster die to iron out the imperfections. Edited by Baltimoreed11754

i tried to order the ez kit and it says you have to agree to this

I agree to only use Cowboy Ammunition with Lead Bullet

whats up with that cant use regular ammo?

Can you say CYA? That way they can't be held liable for malfunctions. My research has resulted in ZERO results for "Cowboy Loads w/lead bullets", except in .45 long. .45 ACP is an ENTIRELY different type of ammo. I received my kit today, and plan a trip to the range Monday. Will report back w/results. All factory 230gr FMJ loads.

BTW, after installation, Pull is MUCH easier. Can't hardly wait to get to the range.

Back from the range Sunday afternoon. Thompson ran great w/easy pull springs. Didn't even knock the furniture loose.

• 2 weeks later...

Additional range report: Had two FTE resulting in stovepipes of live rds. Rounds not so deformed that they couldn't be fired after the fact. 200+rds w/only 2 FTE is a win in my book. Only "major" problem was a failure to lock back twice out of 6 mags when the stick mags were empty. One pull on the charging handle immediately fixed it. "L" Drum ran flawlessly (previously knocked loose every 10-12 rds). I was on the fence about buying a new mag-catch spring. Now I'm quite sure I don't need a new one, although @ 4bux ea, WTH. 1 mag on my M1 carbine locked up, but that's a whole different animal, whole different forum. I just wish I could go to the range and come back w/just dirty firearms that don't need some sort of smithing.

By the by, how does one sight in a pinned front sight. Using a "bore-sight" laser, my front sight is off, to the right.

The only way to adjust a m1 type Thompson is to bend the apeture of the rear sight in the needed direction.

I suppose a gun shooting just low could benefit from filing the front sight.. And if high a good welder could add a little bit to it's height.

Only a lyman rear sight is windage adjustable.

There is another way to adjust the rear for windage on an M1, though it takes modification and effort.

You can remove the rear sight and file the holes the screwes go through oval (perpendiculare to the sight plane). The entire sight can then be shifted right or left on reinstallation.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the range again today. Two more FTE & stovepipes of live rounds. This time the GD firing pin broke again on the second. Had fired 80+ rds, into my 4th 20 rd mag and $#!t, broken firing pin. My new-to-me National Postal Meter (7/43) M1 Carbine ran flawlessly (9x15rds).

Karl, 68coupe