Frank - Mid West Tactical Has a 28 for 18K and a M-1 for 21K

Not an interested party, just received an email from Frank at Mid West Tactical. He has two C&R Thompsons at prices I think are reasonable given past sale, he's calling them "Blowout sales"

The first is a West Hurley Model 1928 for $18K, and the second is a AO WW-II M-1 for $21. From the gun broker ads, not collector pieces from the pictures, he had them listed with a Buy it Now price of $25K each.

I am unability to cut and past urls or text from my computer on the board.

Couple of comments:

- Is the Thompson market finally topping out? Is $25K for lower end WW-II Thompsons and $20K the West Hurley ceiling? As Thompson's keep going up, I keep asking how? We see the overall firearms market as being soft.

- Not that I am looking for a West Hurley or an M-1; opinions on the guns? Just not too impressed; compared to the Shooters Reuben has offered recently.

- Lastly passing it on for those folks looking, cause my opinion is these are good prices.

not enough thompsons show up for sale to get a feel for pricing....its not like a Uzi or Mac where there are 5+ a week for sale somewhere....you can watch as uzi asking prices went from $12k up to $16k and are now back to $13k..........Macs from $5k then up to 9k and now back to $7k

ive never really noticed thompsons go up since July 2016.....but then very few WW2 guns have shown up....Ruben thinks they went up to $26k for a M1....i dont know if he has sold one in a year at that price.......i still think a nice 1928 is $25-26k and a nice M1 is $22-24k(same as it was over a year ago when i bought mine).....if they are for sale in that price range they sell....

Edited by huggytree

The Thompson market has never "topped out", but it'll sure take a hit the next time the economy tanks.

The asking prices of two guns do not a marketing survey make.

Edited by TSMGguy

I know all about the WH as it's mine. I'm not in a good mood with them right now. Still waiting on my DEWAT M1928A1 Savage to transfer to them and then it has to get to my dealer. Had I known the wait would be this long I'd just have passed or done it in cash. I'm really considering calling them up and buying my WH back

When I made the deal on the DEWAT the transfer was already started to them (paperwork submitted Feb 2nd) and it had been in for a couple weeks so we decided there was no need to stop the transfer and start it over again since F5's have been taking 4-5 weeks. That and getting it stopped would have taken the same amount of time as letting it finish. Now here we are the 1st of May and it still hasn't transferred to them yet as the paperwork was in ERROR status as the items are coming from an estate and they made a mistake on the paperwork.

I called and raised hell with Frank's people on Friday, told them that this was not the deal that we had made as the gun was supposed to be in Ohio by now and the way it sounded no one had checked to see why the items hadn't been approved yet. There were 8 or 10 DEWATs in the group including the '28A1 Savage and I bet I'm not the only one who is pissed. Had I known this mess was going to happen you can bet your butt that I would have canceled the first transfer and had the estate send it direct to my dealer/SOT here in Ohio. At the current rate its going, the gun won't be in Ohio until July and then I won't see it until December or next spring. I pretty much told them that they better get the issue resolved pretty damn quick or I'm going to tell them to take the deal and pound salt.

I traded it into him towards the Savage DEWAT '28A1. So in a sense he is working to recover his money and make a little bit. I contacted the broker I dealt with about the possibility of buying it back/paying the cash amount offered for it and calling it a day.....have a pair of Thompson's then.

maybe it will drop again or he may take even less if offered....they told me nothing is selling for them on GB lately when i was looking at of their offerings....buyers have the power right now it seems

Well I know what they gave me for it and it is still sitting in my safe. The gun hasn't hit the transfer status since it would be going to them on a Form 4 so unless it sells real quick today, the ball is in my court. Kinda funny how it hasn't gotten a single bid in over a week. Thin the wait times are showing with gun sales? The M3 that's on GB hasn't had a single bid in over a month. Seller had a BIN of $27K (too high) when he had bids of $25K on it. Now his opening bid is $12.5K with a BIN of $25K.....kind shows what holding out for a few dollars more will get you.

Buyers get excited when they have a chance at a bargain and then bid the item up until it isn't a bargain anymore.

Sometimes if you take the reserve off and just let 'er rip with a $1 start you end up with a record sale price.

There is a risk to it though.

But having 25 bids on an item definitely spurs more bidding.

That's why places like Julia's set a low opening price and list low estimates. They want buyers to get excited and prime their interest in the guns.

There are always a number of WHs for sale, and a lot of times they are very pretty looking and low mileage.

Sometimes there are a dozen WHs on gunbroker and zero pre-45 guns.

So i wouldn't expect a feeding frenzy on a WH unless it was NIB.

Well the WH sold this morning so there is no recourse in buying the gun back. Really I can't even void the deal and keep the WH now as its sold.

Told me that Form 5's out of an estate take longer yet none of this was told up front. What's really sad is I have issues when dealing with dealers yet the other 2 guns I've bought from individuals were fine.

Actually form 5's are substantially faster than form 1 and 4 transfers.. Sometimes half? Don't know why.....there is a reason though, but memory escapes me? I sent one 11/4/16 and got it approved 1/12/17. I have others in, but that is the most recent form 5 that has cleared. HTH

Yeah, F5s can be faster but don't count on it. I receive a lot of F5 transfers for registered DEWAT reactivations and depending on the status of the transferor the processing times do vary significantly. F5s transfers from individual transferors to me have been taking over five months or more, which is faster than 1s and 4s, but a few of the 4s for guns I have brokered that are transferring from individuals to dealers have been about the same recently or a bit longer. Transfer times are really of no concern to me and never have over many, many years. As the expression goes, it is what it is.......

Receipt of error letters by the transferors for transfers to me have been happening more quickly, however, which is definitely a plus, since transfers usually are approved within a few weeks of returning a corrected error letter to ATF.

FWIW

I laid it out for them to the point that they better get it figured out or I will be canceling the Form 4 transfer and voiding the deal as they are not holding up the terms to which I agreed to upon at the time of purchase. I'm sure that I am not the only one upset that this is dragging on like it is. When I made the deal I made mention that the seller could do a Form 5 direct to my dealer/SOT here in Ohio instead of having to run it through them so as to save time. "We have been seeing Form 5's come back in 30-60 days and its been 30 or so days since we submitted the paperwork. By the time we cancel the Form 5 and have a new one started for direct transfer to your dealer, we will already have it in our procession." Well this is certainly not the case. I understand things take time and we are all at the mercy of the bureaucracy known as ATF, but there is a point in time that enough is enough.

The even funnier part is I contacted them at 6:40 about the situation and told them that I was considering voiding the deal, canceling the Form 4, and keeping my gun, OR paying them what they offered for my gun and having both of them. I don't get anything back after that until 8:30 being told that my gun had sold and at 7:00. This whole thing has put a bad taste in my mouth....sorry for the rant.