Buffer Disintegration

Bob,

Look on page 157 in my book for the safest method when using a 1921 actuator. Page 176 provides a warning about using the original Colt's 1921 buffer pilot.

Tom,

I couldn't find it. Of course I don't have a copy of the book so that's probably why. I know. I know. I should. I will. That won't help me tomorrow though. Can I have a hint?

Bob D

Edited by bug

Probably not a good idea is the collection of washers I observed in this sleeper that turned up recently.

http://www.fototime.com/208D25F768A48A3/standard.jpg

Yeow! Is that a deactivated gun? Doesn't look all welded up like most of the photos of UK guns.

• 1 month later...

We spent last Father's Day camping / shooting / stargazing (a fine combo). I brought my 1980's era semi-auto Uzi, which I hadn't shot in yeeeears. After 5 rounds, the bolt stopped retracting all the way. Upon disassembling the weapon, I discovered that about 98% of the buffer had disintegrated into a handful of crumbled rubber that resembled black Parmesan cheese. The other 2% had fused itself to the metal cavity which formerly housed it.

I checked my PK WH this past weekend and buffer looks good, but I got some new replacements from Laurence in hand for next time.

I have a PK’d WH and a Colt and as never shot the Colt had no idea the pilots were different-1 vs 2 piece- ignorance ain’t always bliss.

Is the one piece GI (Savage I think) in the PK’d WH better/worse than the 2 piece Colt pilots? I recall seeing amber ones once upon a time

What Disadvantage/advantage to the 2 piece ya figure?

I will most definitely check my WH’s buffer and see if I even own any spares-

Which of PK’s ya’ll thing store the best?

OldFalGuy,

PK or Diamond K makes two types of polyurethane discs - one black, one amber. Both work well and are my discs of choice.

Diamond K also manufactures a 1921/28 hybrid buffer pilot to replace the original Colt's two-piece buffer pilot. If the small discs in the original Colt's two-piece buffer have disintegrated or fallen out over time, the pilot will set too deep in the buffer tube and not provide the designed buffering or protection. The repeated battering during firing with an ineffective buffer pilot is never good!.

I explain all of this in detail with pictures and diagrams in my current book on pages 157 and 176. A hybrid 21/28 buffer pilot and two discs from Diamond K costs less than $100 the last time I checked. Given the great expense of all Thompson guns in today's market, it does not make sense to use an original Colt's buffer pilot in any Thompson that is going to be fired.