No More Barrel Problems

Earlier I posted a thread about problems with my barrel backing out slightly when firing...nothing dangerous...just perceptial by the front sight on the compensator moving slightly left of the 2400 position of a clock.

I saw another thread refering to a Thompson barrel clamp being offered on Ebay, and being a sucker for a new tool I bought one...believe me...that was one of the best purchases I have made! It is made of solid steel...weighs about six pounds and holds the barrel snugly while having a slot for the grip mount cut into the clamp. Allow for about a 1/2 inch turn before repositioning of the barrel becomes necessary.

A bit of red lock tight and some muscle put the barrel back in place snugly, and today after running over 300 rounds through the weapon the barrel is as tight as can be.

On another note I had purchased a replacement barrel from Kahr Arms for the M1928 TSMG....guess what...the barrel they picture...finned and threaded for compensator comes finned and without compensator threads. The barrel has the proper length muzzle end to allow for the Cutts, but would have to be sent to a machine shop to be threaded. I paid $199.00 for the barrel with shipping and really feel like I have been had. Does anyone know how hard it is to return an item to Kahr Arms?

C6

I have to chime in here and say that a properly fitted barrel is installed with grease, not retaining compound.

With a proper interface and torque, the barrel is stable without the use of “glue”. In my experience, the WH barrels were never fitted correctly- that is why they glued them in place (with epoxy).

If it's old stock NAC barrels should be much better than Kahr. When I ordered my replacement barrel NAC had them on backorder...that's why I used kahr. I compared the new Kahr Arms barrel with the M1927A5 barrel I purchased from NAC...A5 barrel seemed to be of much better quality. Finish was better, receiver threads were nice and smooth without burrs, it was also much tighter at the muzzle. BTW...I think this was the last 1927A5 barrel NAC had, as they told me quantities were extermely limited, and now they no longer list this as an available part. (A5's have been out of production since 1994 I believe.) My A5 will probably never need a barrel, but it's nice to have.

NAC SMG barrels are listed around $110.00...Kahr's are $190.00 and incorrectly made...at least the one I received was.

C6