Form 4 Transfer Time

Stampcollector

just got a Mid july 2018 form 4 approved yesterday....so they are into mid july now!!!

have a 2nd form 4 from the same period...not approved

this is when those 10,000 silencerco's should be going through..that was July 1-30th

so NFA tracker should go straight up right now with a big log jam...then straight down hopefully after....saw 2 new dots on nfa tracker last week for the 12th and 15th of july...its why i decided to call...

I have had this discussion on another forum where people think its a waste of $$ to send it express. Its $23 well spent imo. I know the paperwork got there and when.

It is not a waste of money. It gets to the ATF via express and one less thing you have to worry about. Insurance is a waste of money too until you need to make a claim.

Edited by NFA amnesty

just got a Mid july 2018 form 4 approved yesterday....so they are into mid july now!!!

have a 2nd form 4 from the same period...not approved

this is when those 10,000 silencerco's should be going through..that was July 1-30th

so NFA tracker should go straight up right now with a big log jam...then straight down hopefully after....saw 2 new dots on nfa tracker last week for the 12th and 15th of july...its why i decided to call...

I called on my Thompson today and the guy claims has not been assigned to an examiner yet and was received early July, 2018. Not having very good luck on my Form 4's lately. I usually breeze through my Form 4's and they are approved earlier than average.

Edited by NFA amnesty

Updates: Congress Rep sent me back ATF response and exactly as I expected: too many applications and not enough resources, states that have changed laws and allow suppressors/SBS, lack of resources, etc, etc. My Rep is going to follow up and ask them why they still have not assigned my Form 4 to an examiner as it is now around 9.5 months.

On my grease gun, ATF claims they still has not received the Form 4 nor cashed the check. Heading back home next week from vacation and resubmitting entire new Form 4, send registered mail with new check.

9,5 months is not out of the ordinary right now

Silencer co sold 10,000 in July 18

You may be 11 months

I got lucky on a July 15,2018 stamp

Another is still not approved

Sit back and wait 1.5 more months before getting excited

9,5 months is not out of the ordinary right now

Silencer co sold 10,000 in July 18

You may be 11 months

I got lucky on a July 15,2018 stamp

Another is still not approved

Sit back and wait 1.5 more months before getting excited

Good advice, nothing I can do anyway. I know when it goes to background, it will be a breeze, no arrests, traffic tickets and work in public safety. i am still glad I sent a request to my Rep as I believe 9 months to a year waiting on a tax stamp is outrageous.

cancel that check and start over..you have waited long enough

just looking through the stats on my new approval

mailed 7-5-18

cashed 7-12-18

approved 4-14-19

7 days until cashed

9 months and 2 days to approval

you have me thinking that i had better call the atf and go through all the checks cashed to verify its been done...i dont even know if ones from 3-4 months ago were cashed or not

$23 doesnt seem like a lot to me when Im spending $20k on a gun. Its just my way of thinking...everyone can do their own thing.

Overkill on shipping doesn't get the forms processed any faster.

For me it isnt about the time saved in shipping, it is about knowing it arrived. I had a customer that waited 13 months, then called and the ATF had no record of ever receiving a transfer request. That is a little extreme, but Priority Mail with Tracking is worth the piece of mind to me.

$23 doesnt seem like a lot to me when Im spending $20k on a gun. Its just my way of thinking...everyone can do their own thing.

Overkill on shipping doesn't get the forms processed any faster.

For me it isnt about the time saved in shipping, it is about knowing it arrived. I had a customer that waited 13 months, then called and the ATF had no record of ever receiving a transfer request. That is a little extreme, but Priority Mail with Tracking is worth the piece of mind to me.

$7.35 Priority Mail is a long way from paying $23 Express mail. There are various options with the USPS to confirm delivery of a letter.

I learned a long time ago flat rate or priority isnt the best especially for paperwork that has no money value. I get the tan envelopes that are like 1.15 and get first class for it that has tracking for a total of like 3.45.

When its ATF form 4 always call at the 4 week time frame to get a pending date. I get worried when that time comes around and I do not see a CC charge or checking withdrawal.

Edited by Speeddemon02

Great news on my Thompson M1A1, called today and it went from pending not assigned to an examiner (last Friday) to the stamp has been approved and has been mailed out. It was approved on the 21st per the phone screener. That is a Sunday so not sure how it was approved on that date unless they are working OT on the weekend.

So now I have a reweld hydramatic M16A1 that went pending in September of 2018 and of course the elusive Grease Gun that is on limbo land status. Will be driving out to my Dealer on Saturday to send out a new Form 4 with tax payment if my original check has not been cashed by Friday. Would do it now but my dealer is 120 miles away on the other side of the cascade mountain range.

Yeah boy.

I just had the flood gates open. Stacks of form 1 and 4 I filed all throughout last year got approved and are coming in. The oldest ones are from 3/2018. There were at least 5x form 4 in there where we used the silencershop form 4 generator that put a barcode on the form 4. They were promising 4 months return on stamps with the barcodes. In reality it was 13+ months.

• 1 month later...
The ATF blames the FBI for the slow turn around on the background checks. Multiple applications by the same person should not need a background check every time. Idk what the answer is but every time i look at something to buy i see a year wait and my enthusiasm diminishes.

I have had two clear this year(1928 and M2 Carbine) both were form 4's from a dealer to me. The last is a 1919A4 form 4 individual to individual that went pending Aug 20 and still pending today. Seems they slow walk the non dealer transfers.

The ATF blames the FBI for the slow turn around on the background checks. Multiple applications by the same person should not need a background check every time. Idk what the answer is but every time i look at something to buy i see a year wait and my enthusiasm diminishes.

Had this same discussion with another board member yesterday. I still have an Uzi pending that I'm unlikely to see before Christmas and I have the money to buy something else but I'm just not willing to tie up my funds for a year while they "process" the transfer. Add to that the fact that we're probably facing another government shutdown this October and I'm done.

Had this same discussion with another board member yesterday. I still have an Uzi pending that I'm unlikely to see before Christmas and I have the money to buy something else but I'm just not willing to tie up my funds for a year while they "process" the transfer. Add to that the fact that we're probably facing another government shutdown this October and I'm done.
I think the long wait times for the F4 transfers have caused a dip in sales. Dealer to dealer is going smoothly again it seems. I though 6 months was a long wait now its double that. Maybe some pressure from the bigger sellers or collectors might help get some changes with the process.

• 2 weeks later...