WWII Submachine Gun Marksman Qualifications?

Anyone know what the different qualifications for marksman, expert, sharp shooter etc were during WWII?

For Submachine gun? Carbine? Auto rifle? Machine gun? Bayonet? Gernade?

I asked this question on another message board and got an answer for the rifle qualifications but can't find anything for any of these other ones. I kind of want to know because I'd be curious to see how I could qualify.

For the BAR the firing for qualification was 2 courses - Known distance slow fire, and known distance automatic fire

at targets.

You actually fired the slow fire single shot! (if you don't know the BAR it fires from an open bolt.) The highest possible

score was 250 (20 slow, 30 automatic, 50 shots total) Expert 215 or better, Sharpshooter 190 or better, Marksman 150

or better. BUT, there are two more courses of automatic fire totaling 160 rounds at silhouettes. You have to score at

least 130 (out of a possible 239 points) on this part for your previous qualifying score to stand. Simple, eh?

This is courtesy of FM 23-15 for the M1918A2 BAR May 1961.

Bob

You may find the "Thompson qualifying" answer in that 5-in-1 Thompson training/info manual that Combat Bookshelf put out years ago and I'm pretty sure it's been reprinted. I remember the retiring police chief in a town I was living in; I asked him if anybody but him could qualify on a Thompson these days (this was 1990). He grinned and said "Nope, I'm the only one, and I did it a long time ago in the Army!" I love hearing those stories. My uncle carried a Thompson in the Pacific as a sarge, and swears he saw some crates of 25 round Tommy mags there, but couldn't get at 'em. Now there's a "can of worms" subject.

Ron

Someone, I can't recall who it was, posted here a year or two ago a US Training video for the TSMG, I can't find it, but that was very in depth. Maybe that gentlemen can repost.....

This is from pretty early in the war going by the WWI helmets they are wearing. I've watched this video a couple times it's fun to watch. However, it does not tell us to to score for expert, sharpshooter and marksman.

Ok, this is weird. Every time I try to copy and paste the link when I submit it the link isn't there?

Go to google and search for 'Marksmanship with the Thompson submachine gun' and it comes right up. 24 minute video.

Edited by Kilroy

I found a couple of them last night, still missing a couple of them though. I still haven't found the one for the Thompson.

BAR: FM 23-15 Pg. 86

M1903: FM 23-10 Pg. 116

M1: FM 23-5 Pg. 253

Pistols: FM 23-35 Pg. 132

Carbine: FM 23-7 Pg. 70

Bayonet: FM-23-25 Pg. 21

Edited by Kilroy

One of my WWII Thompson scorecards had the answer.

Qualifications:

Expert: 80

Marksman 1st Class: 70

Marksman 2nd Class: 60

A Phase: 10 rounds, single shot (5 targets)

B Phase: 15 rounds, automatic fire (5 targets) - Six of these rounds must be fired from kneeling or sitting position

C Phase: 10 rounds, slow fire, 200 yards

I'm confused as to exactly how each item was scored, but I'm looking for more information.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thanks, any idea on what distances were for the A and B phase?

I'd like to one day try and see now I can qualify.

This is a wild ass guess, but I wonder if this 'Target D' is the target used?

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/dwl018/Targettypes_zpsfe0b5882.jpg

As I understand, a hit in the black would be a 5, next ring a 4, next ring a 3.

Edited by Kilroy