Kahr Thompson M1a1 Sbr

I think you guys are getting very picky.If it looks like a pig and squeals like i pig, then it must be a cow right?

If the guy digs shooting that model then so be it.Just be happy you are still able to shoot one.(Thank god)!Man i went through all that same bullshit when i had my harley.(My harley is more authentic than yours blah ,blah blah!

Hey to me they all are of the thompson family even though they are not exactly like the colts. They are cousins of the colt. Good enough!

I would rather shoot a replica or cousin of a tommy than any other real mcoy gun .(Except of the colt tommy itself). http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Edited by chitowngangster

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'd keep an eye out for a good, used AO 27a1 or M1a1, then use the money you save to buy some mags and parts to fix it up. I picked up my 27a1 for $650 and put $375 into parts to make it more to my liking. That's still less then a new gun would have cost and It's fixed the way that I wanted it to be. Shop around, you'll find one at a gun show or on a firearms forum that you can pick up for half of what a new one would cost. Get it fixed up like you want it then put in for the SBR permit and you'll have a nice, custom semi that you can be proud to own. JMHO. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

But you know what? The $35 Asian electronic "replica" of the $4000 Rolex is superior in almost every way...slightly thicker, more durable, virtually indistinguishable appearance, but keeps PERFECT time, unlike the Rolex! So not all replicas are bad just because they are replicas.

Phil,

You keep confusing quality (as dubious as that may be in WH/Kahr versions), with simple honesty. As crazy as it may seem to you, some people actually expect that the merchandise they buy is indeed what the label says it is. I wonder how you would feel if you bought that $35 Asian replica for $4000, even if it did keep better time? The way that purveyors of knock-off watches keep out of trouble is that they change a letter in the brand name of the company they are ripping-off. Numrich never had a twinge of conscience to call his version the "Thimpson." This may be of negligible interest to you, but even though it is a tiny injustice in the grand scheme of things, it is still a bone of contention to those who notice little things like the theft of a person's reputation and honor. Even a "Thompson agnostic" must appreciate the injustice and imorality of the appropriation of Thompson's name and company to adorn firearms that neither he, his family, or any member of his company authorized. While it is perfectly natural for some gun enthusists to not see beyond their own muzzle flash, one would hope that during a lull in their lives they might consider that maybe there is more to their firearm than just steel, plastic and wood.

So basically what you are saying is that no one actually owns the Thompson name, trade marks, or AO name for that matter??

If so, then it would be legal for anyone with allot of spare cash to buy all the machining equipment and start producing more replica Thompson's, and Kahr couldn't do anything.

Then the new manufacturer could actually build a better gun. Perhaps even place a working knock off Lyman style site on it.

Then if you really want to be a "true" purist, the only true Thompson would be the ones manufactured by the original AO, once they got on their feet. Given the fact that Colt did a fantastic job making them, they are not original Thompson's..

Gee, this topic sure grew a life of it's own, from the original request as to if a Kahr M1A1 SBR would be a good idea... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

If the Kahr acts up it can be fixed, either by Kahr or PK. I think they charge a bit more than they should, but so do others. Pot metal screws are expensive you know. So is CNC even though you skip the final fitting of parts because you'e got your tolerances down to an f.

Anyway, I'm happy with mine, I have had work done on it like Grey Crow, and that has made it more appreciable. To me. To hell with anyone else, its not their gun http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Chitown:

Bring those two coward US military deserters back with ya, and you can live in the basement room here. I'll even give you the combination to the safe!

CG

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif Well guys I bit the bullet and bought the weapon. After listening to this I need to get DRUNK and I don't even Drink. (just kidding)

I just wanted some opinions on the weapon and thought this would be the sight for it. Anyway thanks for the info and I'm thankful that I was able to buy one. God Bless America and 2nd Amed. Look forward to talking more about the guns.

My wife just roles her eyes. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Joe

Joe:

Congrats! Welcome to the club. Now, don't fret. You're not the first person who has had a post morphed by the tired rant about what constitutes a Thompson. Enjoy yours! Oh, and this IS the site for Thompson questions, they be old or new...

CG

Congrats. on the purchase.

LOL, first modification the mag catch! And get a bunch of GI mags.

That in itself, in many cases will cure feed problems. If you have any.

Keep it clean and oiled that also assists in feed problems.

You'll love it........ http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

My wife STILL has no idea how much I have invested in the 27 and original Thompson items.

Although I do maintain a spread sheet of values should I kiss off.

Arthur,

I think the market supports you. otherwise, a Kahr SBR semi (rebuilt by PK-mine) would be worth the same.

I also have learner much from you and would consider you one of the best resources for information on the Thompson. BUT.....

The fact is, I cannot afford a FA Thompson, and if I bought one, would have to use it to shoot the divorce lawyer my wife would hire in order to prevent it from being sold to spite me. I would not be shooting it on auto at the range, so it would serve no useful purpose other than to inflate my ego while depleting my wallet.

I can get just as much of a thrill shooting mine and not worrying about my insurance co refusing to pay replacement value on a 60 year old firearm, so for those of use without means to join the purists, I say your assertions while valid, are just so much elitist BS.

Rangers Lead the Way!!

John

TommyFan: I guess that makes me a quasi-elitist, since I am fortunate enough to own two full auto thompsons, neither of which is a Colt. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Hawksnest:

"Quasi"??? Isn't that the number 10 guy of the Taliban we keep saying we got cornered in Afghanistan???

If we can shoot next to each other without having to hear or say, "My gun's better than your gun", we're cool.

John

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Apr 25 2004, 10:31 AM)
Your usuallly verbose posts missed the entire point of why post 1944 samples of "Thompson's" are replicas.[/b][/color]

I am a bit too tired to really plod into this again, but it seems to me that the term replica, copy, fake, or whatever, do not apply (in a strict definition sense). Reproduction may seem better (something reproduced, especially in the faithfulness of its resemblance to the form and elements of the original). All Thompsons are reproductions of the original design. Also, to me anyway, the term "Thompson" refers to an entire class of weapons. Perhaps there is not another good example, but when someone says "Thompson", an immediate image pops to mind. Whether it is a 1921, 28, M1, West Hurley, or Kahr. It's not so much about who made it, but what it is; what it represents. Flame on...

Chris,

The following is a response by "Jim" to my posts on Bower's board about this very topic.

I think he's just saying that to be correct in a description of a collectible you should be specific. Some may take it personal as if their baby is being knocked. But, I don't think it should be taken personal.
My SMTD M76 looks identical to a SW76 but I don't call it a Smith & Wesson.
A Vector Uzi replica is just that....a replica. An UZI is an UZI. And there is nothing personal meant by being specific there either.
We don't call Bushmaster's ....Colt's either.....even though they sure look the same don't they?
This kind of thing is considered simply semantics by the average shooter.....but it's much more than that to the purist collector. Maybe it's good that we discuss this. I think alot of guns are overpriced due to the misunderstandings of their true collectibility.

There are alot more examples out there than just these two, but I think you see what I'm talking about.

Probably 95% of us on the board are NOT "purist collectors." Therefore this argument is moot to most of us.

Having a Colt would be great, but is unrealistic to most. Maybe some people could find it in there heart to let all of us that are "fooled" by WH and Kahr Arms, to let us keep believing that we have a "Thompson."

We shoot'em, we clean'em, we love'em! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif Even though they are not "true" Thompsons, they are close enough for most of us.

We (the semi-auto owners) thank you (everyone) for your understanding. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

has this horse not been beat e-nuff?????

so a person own's a colt so what,a person owns a wes-hurlee,so what,a kahr so what,a military original, a pre-sample 1928,m1a1, a post sample m1,m1a1 a 1928 a1, and so on and sew-on...............

we all enjoy what we have and what we happened to be blessed with...................don't you all at all realize.........99.99% of the world buying public{whata we have 6 billion on the earth..............

don't care,can't own one, can't afford one.and if they did don't care to bother at all..........its a very small group in the whole scheme of thing's.............all we ever seem to talk to is the same old group..........{gun dealers and collector's}

talk with others out there..............they don't care.they see a old gangster movie.or a new one!! a ww2 movie or see a pic or maybe read a story in a book,or something on the internet they come across..........

heck if s.p.r.did not appear on the big screen or b.o.b.there would not have been such a surge in the last four years....on the 1911,m1a1 1928.19118a1 1918a2 bar,mp-40.mg-42's and mg-34's and other's.............

so just enjoy what we have,heck remember? {red dawn}everybody wanted to go back to high school and own a russian akm........well maadi akm semi{thats what they used}

and if you have a colt great,or a kahr or hurlee'''''or a freakin tn.commando or phx.arm's from the 60's.............

now i will pop "sahara" with bogie in the v.c.r........and get the 1928 out of the safe, slide in a drum and relax....

and heck the wife can even have the m.g.c.replica to pet.

its good to watch a classic with someone....wink!!!

take care all!! ron

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Apr 29 2004, 11:22 PM)
Chris,
The following is a response by "Jim" to my posts on Bower's board about this very topic.

Af:

I read all those posts.

http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/mgmsg.cgi?...70428#Responses

Quite an ass kicking.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Ha!Ha!Ha! Arthur's terrorizing every board there is.You have to admit that boy has got spunk!!!!!!His balls must be stamped Colt.

Way to go Arthur stick to your convictions.

Thanks for the link Chris i had a good laugh.

Mario

Edited by chitowngangster