M1 Maintainance Question

Hey there guys! Long time lurker, first time poster...

I recently bought a Kahr Arms semi-auto M1 and am completely hooked on Thompsons now. You can see a few photos of my semi-auto on my website at: http://www.reflectionsoflife.com I'm already saving up for a full-auto 1927 or 1928.

Anyways, I have a maintainance question since I love my new baby so much and want to take good care of it. When I first received my gun, it had a lot of oil in it. I mean, a lot. There was oil running out from the bolt and from between the receiver and the frame when I fired it. Do I need to keep this much oil in the gun to keep it in good shape? Or should I just use a light touch like you do with most modern firearms?

Also, if you have any other maintainance advice for me, please share. I know my Kahr arms is a cheapie, but unfortunately it's all I can afford for now, so I'd like to keep it healthy and happy. Thanks! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Sgt. Fox--

Good to have you on board. I have the 1927 Kahr. I'm not an expert on the model, but maybe I can push the question to the top of the page, and let some of our experts answer it.

When I lubricate my Kahr, I don't oil it excessively, as in dripping. I do give the bolt a nice liberal coat, with about three drops of a good gun oil, using my hand to spread it out. As I recall, that is about the amount used, from the factory.

Sgt. Fox,

I don't own an SA Thompson, so I don't know if the rules are different for them. There are plenty of other SA owners on this board that should be able to help. It sounds like Sgt has the right approach.

With the FA guns, there seem to be two schools of thought on lubricating. One school follows the principle that if some is good, more is better. This group generally has oil dripping out of every seam and will occasionally get some sprayed in their face when shooting (some have even rated the relative tastes of the different lubricants). The second group supports covering all surfaces with a thin oil film, well oiling the breach oiler pads and leaving it at that. I generally fall in the second group, but have been known to apply a couple extra squirts of oil just because....

Roger

Thanks guys! I think I'll just try a modest layer and see how it performs. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Sgt.Fox, when i had my WH M1, it arrived from the factory with minimal oil in the action. I tried to duplicate this condition every time that i cleaned out the oil and the accumulated dust/unfired powder and carbon..It seemed to work better than "drowning" the action. My WH produced M1 was very relieable and except for the grip mount (pin?) breaking and the forearm sliding off, it was a very nice firearm. A little hard to pull back the bolt though...

I had a semi M1 awhile back. You would treat it just as you would any other semi gun. I use alot of the Remington spray lube after I wipe the gun down and clean the insides. You can pop it apart and I use the spray lube to blast anything from the trigger group that way you won't take it apart. Take the bolt out and wipe it off and wipe and spray out the upper reciever to get that little grime out of it. As long as when you put it back togather, everything has a film of oil on it, it won't rust on you. If it is going to be sitting in a safe for a while, give a shot of spray lube down the barrel and I will stick a oily rag in the end of the barrel if it's going to sit for a long time. On the outside of the gun I use the spray, when I ready to put it in the safe, and give a very light mist over the whole gun to keep the rust off. Also you can use ClezOil to clean it up with, and use the spray to do the final mist down. Hope this spreads some light.