Bought A Federal Laboratories 201-Z Tear Gas Gun W/Case From PD

All,

I was recently approached by a Connecticut Police Department who saw this forum, and offered up their Federal Laboratories 201-Z Tear Gas Gun to me for sale. I bought it with the case and cleaning tools shown below at a reasonable price. They provided me with a bill of sale on PD letterhead, so that helps give it the provenance I sought.

The case is in remarkably good shape, particularly based on the fact that I can smell tear gas inside the case, even though none is present, and usually that tends to corrode the insides of cases. The end of the barrel is a little frosty with residue, but I will clean that soon. I took a few pictures so you could see it before I clean it.

Here is what the case looks like. I like it a lot!

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/Case_Web.JPG

Here is what it looks like when the case is opened. Notice the cleaning rods. There is a brush, and also what looks like a blued Thompson SMG (WWII Type) cleaning rod.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/CaseOpen_Web.JPG

Here is a photo of the case with the contents removed.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/CaseandContents_Web.JPG

The barrel needs to be cleaned. It has some frostiness and corrosion on the end, and I can smell tear gas residue.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/Frosty_Web.JPG

My new 201-Z is the top tear gas gun, and my older one is pictured below for comparison.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/Compare1_Web.JPG

The main differences between the two guns are the types of metal, as well as the sights.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/Compare2_Web.JPG

Here is the marking on the 201-Z that I just acquired from the PD. Notice Saltsburg, PA address.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/MySecondFedLabs-Address.JPG

Here is the marking on my first Fed Labs tear gas gun. Notice Pittsburgh, PA address.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TearGas/MyFirstFedLabs-Address_Web.JPG

Does anyone know when Fed Labs moved from Pittsburgh, PA to Saltsburg, PA?

Your comments are appreciated!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 1 year later...

David: I just lucked out. I purchased a Federal Labs case which is identical to the one you have pictured. I wasn't sure of what is was until I saw your pictures with a Federal Labs gas gun inside. Mine has a stencil on the top "Monroe County Sheriff's Dept."

My case appears older thasn yours but it is in nice shape. I have a gas gun on the way!

Any suggestions on loads?

I've never fired either of my Fed Labs gas guns. I have seen some 37mm suggested loads online, but it's not in my plans to shoot them.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Nice set. Your case is in great shape. My case is marked Pittsburgh I believe. I'll get a pic later. I looked in Swearengen's book and did not find info on when factory was moved. They are fun to shoot but do not shoot blast shells and put the gun in the case without cleaning or it will smell forever. Even the TF83 did not work. Anyone old enough to remember TF83?

I've never fired either of my Fed Labs gas guns. I have seen some 37mm suggested loads online, but it's not in my plans to shoot them.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Nice set. Your case is in great shape. My case is marked Pittsburgh I believe. I'll get a pic later. I looked in Swearengen's book and did not find info on when factory was moved. They are fun to shoot but do not shoot blast shells and put the gun in the case without cleaning or it will smell forever. Even the TF83 did not work. Anyone old enough to remember TF83?

Copdoc,

Could you please post some more photos of the case, outside and inside? I love the pic of the label, my old case is sans label.

- Ron

Edited by ron_brock

A few companies still make flares for these. The "firework flares" look neat but I have never shot any.

Tear gas is a mess to clean up and a biohazard. Be sure not to even possess any baton rounds or buckshot with gun as you prob know. It would be then considered a DD.

I have some of the old factory reloading tools and kits. Powder is pre-measured for the different factory training projectiles. Kits do not have projectiles, just de-priming tool, powder and wads. Reloading can be dangerous in a low pressure barrel. These will be just reminders of the old days and not used. Will try to get a pic soon.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Thanks for posting the news articles Arthur. Very cool. I have from a source that the company completely moved out of Pittsburg into Saltsburg in 1953. If I read the 1957 article, it sounds like maybe that was an expansion. Regardless, it seems early to mid 1950s was the move, which is later than I originally thought.

Ron

P.S. I think I heard the buildings are no longer there. I've not made it out there yet to do any research, but hope to in the future. If it is true they are gone, I am glad someone took these. I have seen these photos and a few other on another site. Something along the lines of weird roadside attractions, or something similar.

Edited by ron_brock

• 2 weeks later...

KSPSRT665,

I's like to talk to you regarding the Fed Labs guns. If you could send me a PM, it would be much appreciated and I'll send over my contact information. I have a few manuals and training manuals, just want to see what else is out there and what information you may be able to share. I'm hoping to preserve any information out there about these things.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

• 2 months later...
I work for the Boston PD in special operations division. We recently cleaned out our old armory cage and these two cases were thrown in the trash so I salvaged them. After examining them closer I realized they were 201-z cases used by our T.P.F. (Tactical patrol force). I know a lot of people were looking for them but had no idea if their historical value out weighed their actual usefulness? They are in okay shape. They stenciled indoor use on one as well as T.P.F. The other says c.s. hand. I guess they began storing hand held munitions in it. I think either way it would have been a shame for them to go in the dumpster. Please comment with your thoughts...

post-261119-0-18138100-1494491424_thumb.jpg

post-261119-0-49438200-1494491494_thumb.jpg

post-261119-0-34666700-1494491586_thumb.jpg

Dubbsy01,

Very nice! Thank you for saving these from destruction.

You can see where the partitions were removed from one of them to fit the tear gas hand grenades.

These do have some value, though I'm not sure how much. It's a very niche market. Are you looking to sell them?

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Maybe modified to hold AAI MPGs. Larger than standard gas grenade. They were a good product. Throw, launch or hand fire like a blast dispersion round in a pistol. They don't fit in standard case slot. They could be launched from the federal launcher with attachment.

Dubbsy01,

Very nice! Thank you for saving these from destruction.

You can see where the partitions were removed from one of them to fit the tear gas hand grenades.

These do have some value, though I'm not sure how much. It's a very niche market. Are you looking to sell them?

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com