John Dillinger to be exhumed?

I work just around the corner from the site. I do plan on being there. I have a brother who is actually grounds supervisor for Crown Hill properties. He or his crew will be the ones doing the digging. I will have to try and find more before it happens.

I know there has been long speculation, since the shooting, that the man shot was NOT Johnny. Reports of JHD sightings were around for years. His sister started visiting someone in California suddenly. His own father said it was not John when he viewed the body. Height, eye color, you know the things a dad would know.

So, maybe, we will find out the truth about the legend from Indianapolis. Maybe not. I kind of hope it is not JHD.

color dillinger.jpg

Backgrounds (235).jpg

JHD___1928.jpg

Being a "gangster buff" myself, I find the this all somewhat interesting. However, I am also a fingerprint examiner and happen to believe in the accuracy of the fingerprint identification that was done on the body in 1934. This all just smacks of some distant relatives interested in publicity. My prediction is this is much ado about nothing and a big waste of time and resources. We'll see, I guess.

So, I did a little research on the Internet and found several versions of John Dillinger's fingerprint cards, including a copy of the prints that they took at the Morgue after he was shot and killed. He had recently had some surgery on the cores of his fingerprints to obliterate the pattern at the center of the prints. Unfortunately, there are plenty of other individual identifying points of identification (minutiae) on the first digits of the fingers, actually the entire palm surface, for that matter. You can see the attempts to obliterate the center of the prints on the Death Fingerprint Card.

Despite the shortcomings of the quality of the digital images I was able to copy off the internet, I was able to compare John Dillinger's Death fingerprint card to the prints circulated on the FBI Wanted Poster and another arrest card of Dillinger I found. Guess what? All three fingerprint cards matched. So you read it here first, no need to exhume the body, Machine Gun Boards has solved the mystery! No need to desecrate Johnnie's grave and give his distant relatives their "Fifteen Minutes of Fame", that they so crave.

John Dillinger Death Prints.jpg Dillinger Wanted Poster.jpg John Dillinger Fingerprints.jpg

Death Fingerprints Wanted Poster Prints Arrest Card Prints

I made an Identification Chart of the Right Middle Finger from the Death Fingerprint Card (Left), and the Wanted Poster Prints (Right). The red dots indicate the matching points on the right middle finger from both cards. There is a sufficient amount for a fingerprint examiner to call it a match.

Dillinger Chart-Right Middle Finger.jpg

The distortion is a result of the low-quality images from the Internet. I actually saw copies of the original print match at the FBI Academy when I attended in 1989. They had a large blow-up of the match in one of the fingerprint laboratories. I don't believe there are going to be any surprises at the dig on New Years Eve.

Edited by gijive
  • Upvote 3

So, I did a little research on the Internet and found several versions of John Dillinger's fingerprint cards, including a copy of the prints that they took at the Morgue after he was shot and killed. He had recently had some surgery on the cores of his fingerprints to obliterate the pattern at the center of the prints. Unfortunately, there are plenty of other individual identifying points of identification (minutiae) on the first digits of the fingers, actually the entire palm surface, for that matter. You can see the attempts to obliterate the center of the prints on the Death Fingerprint Card.

Despite the shortcomings of the quality of the digital images I was able to copy off the internet, I was able to compare John Dillinger's Death fingerprint card to the prints circulated on the FBI Wanted Poster and another arrest card of Dillinger I found. Guess what? All three fingerprint cards matched. So you read it here first, no need to exhume the body, Machine Gun Boards has solved the mystery! No need to desecrate Johnnie's grave and give his distant relatives their "Fifteen Minutes of Fame", that they so crave.

attachicon.gif John Dillinger Death Prints.jpg attachicon.gif Dillinger Wanted Poster.jpg attachicon.gif John Dillinger Fingerprints.jpg

Death Fingerprints Wanted Poster Prints Arrest Card Prints

I made an Identification Chart of the Right Middle Finger Finger from the Death Fingerprint Card (Left), and the Wanted Poster Prints (Right). The red dots indicate the matching points on the right middle finger from both cards. There is a sufficient amount for a fingerprint examiner to call it a match.

attachicon.gif Dillinger Chart-Right Middle Finger.jpg

The distortion is a result of the low-quality images from the Internet. I actually saw copies of the original print match at the FBI Academy when I attended in 1989. They had a large blow-up of the match in one of the fingerprint laboratories. I don't believe there are going to be any surprises at the dig on New Years Eve.

I have several of these original "Wanted Posters" around here somewhere. They came out of the Dallas FBI office if I remember right. Tossed in the dumpster years ago. The janitor of the building complex dug them out and sold them to a friend of mine that worked at the DFW Airport. Bought them from him years ago. Also picked off some Bonnie & Clyde posters at the same time.

Edited by firearm

What if when they exhume the body they discover that it's really the body of Warren Oates?

Also, this reminds me of the apocryphal story of the village in Mexico where there lived two families, each claiming to have the skull of the late General Pancho Villa. After years of bitter dispute, the Mayor took up the matter. He very carefully examined the two skulls, one of which was considerably smaller than the other. In true political fashion he declared, "You are both correct in having the skull of General Pancho Villa. The smaller skull is from him as a boy, and the larger skull is from when he had become a grown man."

Be well.

Not too many years ago here in Louisiana they exhumed the body of Dr. Carl Weiss the purported assassin of Senator Huey Long. For what exact purpose this was done was never fully clear to me. They already knew he was killed by a fuselage of at least 50 bullets from Longs bodyguards, what was there to be gained by digging up a corpse from 1935? If they wanted to find out who truly killed Long, they should have exhumed Long's body to see if the slug still inside him matched the Weiss pistol. This they wouldn't do for they may have found out that Weiss didn't actually shoot him, and instead was actually killed by a slug from one of his own bodyguards I think the confusion from people at the time not believing John Dillinger's corpse was actually him was the recent plastic surgery he had done to his face which did make him look different and the fact by the time his corpse was viewed by the public his face was bloated and distorted from the trauma he received. As GI Jive has shown, the fingerprints tell the story, they knew they had the right man before they buried him, to dig him up now after all these years is just bread and circuses. Dillinger's Niece and Nephew must be looking for attention or possibly money by wanting this done, I cannot think of any other explanation, this is grisly sensationalism at it's worst. Here is a photo of my Dillinger death mask. Mike Hammer

Dillinger dead.jpg

Dillinger dead 1.jpg

Dillinger dead 3.jpg

Edited by Mike Hammer

I wonder if in ten or twenty years they will be digging us up. wondering are these the same guys on that forum board who laid out all that Tommy info for so many years, Remarkable after over 85 years. He cannot just R.I.P.

We all do have a very different Life. However it really all ends the same way, No matter how we decided to live it.

Ron