• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:11 PM

I thought that changing out the later flat bottom slide on my model 12 Winchester for an earlier one would be a breeze ... I now stand corrected. Getting 68 year old wood off a gun, then fitting even older wood to the gun took me most of the day ... It required a lot of tweaking ... That said I think it now is a fair representation of a police shotgun from the gangster era ... 

It still isn't in the difficulty range of changing out an antique Winchester 1892 rifle forearm ... But close

Attached File  New Slide Model 12.jpg   176.71K   25 downloads

#2 Baltimoreed11754

Baltimoreed11754

• Regular Group
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Martial double action revolvers, military history, Wild Bunch cowboy action shoots, reloading.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:28 PM

Looks real good. I like a short bbled shotgun. The M12 that I used for my trench gun build was a 1940 and had the round forearm. I inlet the sling swivel into the buttstock but it had been shortened so I used a lace on pad to cover the extra wood that I added. Ive since found an old uninstalled M12 buttstock but haven't messed with the inlet and refinish job on it.

Attached Files

Edited by Baltimoreed11754, 16 April 2019 - 07:49 PM.

#3 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:54 PM

Looks real good. I like a short bbled shotgun. The M12 that I used for my trench gun build was a 1940 and had the round forearm. I inlet the sling swivel into the buttstock but it had been shortened so I used a lace on pad to cover the extra wood that I added. Ive since found an old uninstalled M12 buttstock but haven't messed with the inlet and refinish job on it.

Nice build ... My gun had a 30 inch barrel on it when I bought it, but I just happened to have a 20 inch cylinder bore barrel in my mess of spare parts ... Changing that slide was a chore though.

#4 Baltimoreed11754

Baltimoreed11754

• Regular Group
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Martial double action revolvers, military history, Wild Bunch cowboy action shoots, reloading.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:18 PM

How hard was the bbl swap? My understanding was that the way a M12 bbl is installed on the takedown unit makes it just about impossible to swap bbls around.

#5 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:43 PM

you first have remove the adjusting screw out for the adjusting collar around the breech end, then un-thread the adjusting collar off, then unthread the barrel from the sleeve that holds the magazine tube in place