15 Thompsons will be auctioned off at Rock Island 9/6- 9/8

Pretty much the estimate is a marketing tool. Ignore it. It means absolutely nothing. Really depends on who is in the room bidding. I have been there a number of times, and you really need to look the guns over. Some great deals in years past, but recent pricing seems to bear out the fact that folks found the auction and have plenty of money.

• 1 month later...

Well, I think all of the Thompson stuff is done at RIA. Below is my list of items and prices. I used 18% Bidders Premium, though all items were listed as sold "onsite".

I am interested in comments on the cheap Westy, and the two drum  lots.

RIA results 090819.JPG

• Upvote 1

Those prices seem a little high, given the current state of the market.

As for the $14k WH, that is more than I would pay for one. In my mind, $12k is about right. I would have to send mine to PK, where I would spend around $4k and wait for years to have the work done. Is that required, maybe not, but it would be for me.

So I would have $16k into a gun that has no historical significance, and is still inferior to a WWII, or prior, TSMG. No offense to WH owners everywhere, just my opinion...

The way Mike got the final prices was having it online and the prices are posted if you are watching the auction live. Thats how he got them.He did a greart job!! They will be posted for eveyrone to see sometime this week. The owner of the C drum will net only 1600 since the usual commish deducted from the seller is 20% (I think)

IIRC the M1 sample went about $8K. Just from memory... I deleted it since I cannot get samples.

I get my prices by saving the item in my Proxibid watch list. It stays for a week or more available for viewing.

an1913t,

Actually, the C-drum went pretty high. It appears to be a West Hurley C-drum. Essentially none of these drums worked properly. The springs were all terrible. If it has been repaired by Merle Bitikofer (no way of telling from one pic), it would at least be fully operational. However, since you can now buy a modern Taiwan-made repro for under $400 that works great, I would not expect anyone to pay much for a West Hurley drum. About the only people who want West Hurley C-drums are crazy collectors like me that want one for a display.

The second drum is an XL-drum, which is nothing more than an MGC drum that Numrich stamped and sold as a 39-round drum for their Thompsons.

Together, they are probably worth under $500.

Roger