1928 Thompson Found Behind Closet

Big news: 1928 Thompson + boxes of ammo found during a remodeling project at a home in Lockport, IL. Found behind a closet. The gun is now @ the Will County lockup. Had horizontal foregrip, finned bbl. + Cutts. I'll report more tomorrow when I look at the thing in slo-mo on Tivo. The report said there was a receipt dated 1940. Log onto nbc5.com for a really short story on it. I'll dig into it tomorrow.

Hey other Ron, can you pull some strings on info on this one...wink!

You guys knew I was good for something,

Ron

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wonderful hidden treasure found...but an inherently EVIL thing, so we must confiscate it and destroy it so it can be of no use to anyone. Today's "Liberal Logic". http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Mike Hammer

I saw the ch.7 (ABC) news last night. They showed the '28, told the story, and didn't say a specific town, but did say Lockport township. I live in Lockport township. These treasures can be anywhere, unfortunately this one is in the liberal state of Illinois. Bet that we can just say goodbye to it.

I'm going to contact the Will county sheriffs dept. and see if they will give any info on the owner. I'd hate to see something like that go to waste. Thanks

DEAD ISSUE! I spoke to a sargeant from the Will co. sheriffs dept. and he said that they have to keep it because it is fully automatic ( banned in Il. ) I hope the owner can find some way to keep it. This state SUCKS!!!!!!

Here is a copy of the letter I wrote to the author of the article, Mr. Hosey. I would suggest that some of you guys that are more eloquent than I write to him also and point out the stupidity of the law that we are forced to live with.

Dear Mr. Hosey,

Thanks for the interesting article.

What a shame that the laws of your state AND of this country do not allow Mr. Mays to keep his find. I would estimate the gun in question to be worth well over $20,000.00.

There are those of us (I know some will think us nuts) that enjoy collecting this type of firearm. The story of the legislation that infringes on our Second Amendment rights to do so is very long and complicated. Simplifying the whole story, with the passage of the “Firearms Owners Protection†act of 1986; federal law under section 922 makes it illegal for any one to “register†a machinegun. At the last minute, before the final vote, section 922 was attached to the Firearms Owners Protection Act by the rabid anti gun Senator Huges (D. NJ). in an attempt to kill the legislation. Amendment 922 was passed on a very questionable voice vote and since those in control were primary anti gun leaning, the amendment was added to the legislation.

Even though the chances of Mr. Mays using this gun in a crime is next to nothing and even though this guns value is in excess of $20,000.00 the only thing he can do with it under federal statue is to turn it in to a Government agency or have it made inoperable (value destroyed) by approved ATFE procedure.

How does all of this affect you or your readers? Even though it’s unlikely you or your readers will ever find a machinegun in a wall or under the floor or in the attic, the same laws that apply to Mr. Mays apply to you.

Sincerely,

Bruce Volensky

Pike Road, AL. 36064

334-286-4044

brucev21@charter.net

Yeppers.... My other passion is metal detecting, yeah the guy with the black socks and penny loafers on the beach, and it is amaZing to me when someone hits "the big one" and then promptly reports it to the police who then take it into custody while they make sure someone doesn't have claim to it..... Funny how many people have a interest in something that laid in the ground for fifty years.... And of course there is one other party interested in anything of value.... Your friend and mine, the IRS....

And the worst part about all this is that poor Thompson if kept by the police ( which`ll most likely happen) at best won`t be taken care of or at worst will be destroyed.

In the name of safety http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

A quick one along the same lines:

At an old printing company here in New York over on Canal street, west side, we had gone over to check on a big old offset press someone was giving away, just take it apart and get it out kind of thing, a few years ago.

It was in great shape, clean, aged back from the twenties... a big old proofing press. We skipped on it, too damm big, but the owner told us a story that in the early 60's, they had some trouble with the inking system on it and tore down one end of it. This involved scraping away 30+ years of caked on dryed ink to get at where the rollers meet the frame. During the process one guy could not figure out what the hell he was uncovering from ink that was 2-3 inches thick, until it came lose from the inside press cross rail. It was a frigging Thompson! The only thing the guy could tell me is that one of the workers took it home to clean up. He never saw it again and lost track of the guy over the years too. I pressed him on how he knew it was a Thomson, and he said "it had that Tommy gun front handle" and that "someone must have stuck it there and forgot about it" ( on purpose?). Sounds like someone has a nice Colt stashed in an attic somewhere today! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Hmmm, 30 years, encased in "Cosmoline" like ink...could have been nice!

Zamm

Great story, Zamm. I've worked with some really old presses; they could have anything hidden in their rollers. Well, it's exciting to dream about such things anyway. Along with the excitment, I'm sure it would bring some worry, as well.

As for the guy in ILL., he may not get the Thompson, but at least he can try to track down the history and maybe get a lot of good pictures. This would be a great episode for the TV show., "If Walls Could Talk" or "Things that go Rat-a-Tat in the Night"

I am glad to hear that Mr. mayes wants to keep that weapon and I'm very happy that he has gotten an attorney. (hopefully one that is well educated on Illinois firearm laws). I would like to see his attorney beat down these ridiculus state firearm laws and most of all, I would like to see Mr. mayes legally get the 1928 Thompson to own. If this was to happen, it would set a precident in Illinois, and maybe this state would then be among the lawful full auto states as are Indiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arizona and all the rest. I would like to see that happen.

QUOTE (Warden @ Apr 14 2005, 08:59 PM)
If this was to happen, it would set a precident in Illinois, and maybe this state would then be among the lawful full auto states as are Indiana, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arizona and all the rest. I would like to see that happen.

Don't hold your breath. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

More than likely the gun was never properly registered in accordance with the NFA. If it was never registered it can't be returned even in a deactivated state.

I find it funny to read of the level of ignorance on the part of the person who found it. This is a non-registered Class III weapon (neither from the NFA nor the amnesty period in 1968), in a state that has banned all MG ownership, and the guy thinks he has a legal right to have it back? Man, he needs to look up the laws. If it'd been me, I'd have handed them the upper receiver (after stripping it completely of the sights, internals and the barrel) and kept everything else. The cops wouldn't have had a right to anything but the upper receiver. But I do find it wrong that they're keeping the ammo, the sling, the case, and all that other stuff that ISN'T illegal at all. The guy who found certainly does have a right to that stuff. Those things alone are worth hundreds (maybe even thousands) as a grouping, even without the upper receiver. He'll never get the whole gun back, but he should demand everything but the upper. I doubt he'll get anything back at all, though.

i thought that guy moved out that 28 year's ago. i lived in lockport.il. homer ,township..that gun was sold i am sure about 15 year's ago. a 1928 military if it is the same one.

well at least will county has it now..............it was in good shape. take care,ron

Unbelievable!

Sheriff Kaupas said.....""shoots real sweet" and he wants to keep it with the department for "posterity's sake.""

What a self serving a h*le !

Funny the sheriff can purchase a Thompson all day long for about $500 for "posterity's sake". And he wants to deny this good citizens deed and keep it from him.

"I've been calling around about it, and it's worth a lot of money," Mayes said. "(A Florida gun dealer) said $10,000 would be the lowest."

Obviously he contacted John Thedford--NFA SALES / Florida, Ol' Mr. 50%

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

that gun was sold i am sure about 15 year's ago. a 1928 military if it is the same one.

If it's this gun then it could be registered....... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Apr 14 2005, 10:19 AM)
Damn fool should have kept his mouth shut!

Damn right Lionhart! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif That was his big mistake! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Then he should have taken little Tommy to see the sights in Alaska, Montana, Aizona, or Texas, etc, where they both could permanently and anonymously reside in peace, on a 1,000 plus acre sanctuary. The only crimes, in my book, are the 1934, 1938, 1968, and 1986 Federal Laws (concerning full-auto weapons), reducing free men to subjects of the state. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif Those laws need to be repealed. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Regards, Walter

i thought that guy moved out that 28 year's ago. i lived in lockport.il. homer ,township..that gun was sold i am sure about 15 year's ago. a 1928 military if it is the same one.

One possible defense occurs to me. Couldn't this be legal as a grandfathered MG, if the owner was still alive and the gun were registered? I know, these are big "ifs", because no one alive would leave a Thompson behind.

guys that is probably a colt...the one i am talking about is a military 28 model......so i guess it's still out there!! in lockport someplace.i know the sheriff in will county.he's a ex-marine......so i can see him wanting to keep it..they sold #3151 awhile back.{i think that was the number}

on the original finder.dumb dumb dumb.

do the research first!! wink!

and he ain't ever getting it back........

and to think he even gave them the ammo.nice haul for the p.d. take care,ron

Joe Hosey's article in the Herald News is another example of the media's invincible practice of reporting misleading, confusing and overall erroneous information that would be painfully obvious to even a neophyte firearms reader. Hosey states that this TSMG, an obvious 1928 Savage model of WWII vintage as shown in the photo, and alluded to by the Sheriff as a 1928A1 Model, is 76 years old since it has the 1928 model date stamped on the receiver. While one could forgive the staff writer dolt, the ex-Marine Sheriff's pronouncements are disturbing:

"Sheriff Paul Kaupas, a Marine, Vietnam veteran and longtime law enforcement officer, is well-versed in the history of firearms and appeared pleased by the recovery of the legendary Tommy gun. He said this particular weapon was manufactured for the Navy, but could be legally purchased by private citizens in the 1920s."

The WWII Savage TSMG was manufactured for the Navy? And how could a firearm not manufactured until 1940 be purchased in the 1920's? It seems that the allure of the gangster era is just too overpowering for Hosey and Kaupas to distinguish this WWII TSMG from the Colt 1921/28 Navy model.

But what makes this find more unusual than if this was a Colt 1928, is how did a 1940 Savage TSMG, only available to the military at that time, wind up in civilian hands to be squirreled away behind a wall in 1940, if the ammo dated receipt is accurate? Was this an armory stolen TSMG, a pilfered TSMG from Savage Arms, or what?

Judging by the inaccuracies in the article, there are not even enough facts available to make any informed determination.