Colt Gun At Nimitz Museum

After a long, hot day of attacking the same bunker for the crowd, I got to examine what I thought was just another wartime '28 that was just put on display at the museum. Here's what I found:

Mfg.: Colt

Ser. No.: 13570 (upper and lower match)

Model: 1921 overstamp to 1928

Internals: all nickel

Ejector: flat

Barrel: finned

Cutts: the word cutts in a diamond

Buffer: red fiber

Actuator: two piece (converted 21)

Rear stock: no crosspiece

Front stock: vertical (with SMG4 stamped on the left side)

Proof marks: none

Greg

The finish is blued. Someone did a horrible job trying to take the internals out and really messed up the right side of the lower.

This gun as well as all the others I have inspected are live. I went into the gun vault on Saturday and was able to take a good look at a bunch of 'em. The only one I saw that was dewated was the Chauchat that I brought to them a couple of years ago and the 08-15 Maxim that has no internals. Some of the guns that are on loan from the Army or Navy may be missing a part or two but all the receivers are intact.

According to Gordon, NO 13570 began life as a 1928 Navy with the Department of Corrections in California. It was later reported as belonging to J. Curtis Earl in 1976 and then to Daniel Schaefer in Texas in 1980. Perhaps it was donated to the Nimitz Museum by Mr. Schaefer... or his estate.

I believe you are correct, TD. The name sounds familiar. I'll pass this on to the curator so they can keep a good history of the gun.