Photo

Need input on GSG MP40

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DeaconKC

DeaconKC

• Regular Group
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Collecting and shooting vintage guns, active in my Church, married for 35 years, retired parole agent

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:30 AM

Thanks folks, I run the website for Zoot Shooting and do reviews on different guns for them. I have been asked about the MP40 replica and have not handled one. Anyone here own one and/or shot one of the beasties? Any information is gladly wanted!

#2 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

I bought one ... It runs fine ... However, the charging handle can come off as they have a really weak dentent holding it in. (this is a common complaint) ... It was an easy fix, doesn't come off now ... The cool factor drops off quickly after buying one. Magazines are very difficult to load without a mag loader ... The magazines only hold 25 rounds.

I don't see the quality being very high ... You pretty much get what you pay for.

#3 DeaconKC

DeaconKC

• Regular Group
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Collecting and shooting vintage guns, active in my Church, married for 35 years, retired parole agent

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Old Trooper! I might still try to find one to evaluate, but unless I fall in love with it, doubt I would buy one.

#4 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:History, ancient coins, antiques of all descriptions.

Posted 22 June 2019 - 08:16 AM

I picked one up and am happy with it. It can be SBR'd with a stock assembly available from the importer. Vigneron mags can be modded to work (as on the real MP-40). Basically a niche holder if you don't have 15K for a real one.

#5 1gewehr

1gewehr

• Board Donor
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Emma Gee, Lewis, Sterling, Chauchat, Marlin Digger

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:42 AM

Does anyone know if the barrels will work on a MP40 SMG?  I'd like to save my original barrel, but can't find a replacement at a reasonable price.  I'd pay the price for a GSG semi-auto if I an use the barrel on my Steyr MP40.

#6 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:03 PM

Unfortunately, none of the parts are interchangeable with an original MP-40. 

#7 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Military history & martial arms.

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:15 PM

At APEX we sell a LOT of magazines for the GSG-MP40.
I have had a couple magazines returned due to loading issues, and one with a bent feed lip (suspect it happened during shipping)
We also sell/ship the folding stock mod kit every day (when I have them in stock).
APEX has also sold the thread adapter for the muzzle, so some people have added a suppressor to their guns.
I am trying to stock parts for this gun, so far I am still waiting.
The GSG MP40 items are in the same category with real MP40 parts.

https://www.apexgunp...t_list_limit=56

Also, even though I state that the mags won't interchange with real MP-40 magazines customers still buy them and then return them when they discover that fact for themselves!

Richard

#8 DeaconKC

DeaconKC

• Regular Group
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:44 PM

Thank you all for your help. Richard, I made the mistake of looking at your parts kits.....you have Galils....I am in SO much trouble...

#9 peter kohler

peter kohler

• Regular Group
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

I bought 2 of them.   I have shot both with zero problems.   we use ours for ww2 reenactments, and run the blanks from atlantic wall. he also sells the correct bfa for them that screws onto the barrel.    I saw Richards post about the returned mags.   they definetly need a loader to charge them, and ive also found on my brand new mags on the right side of the follower there is a piece of sprue sometimes still attached to it.   its not big but the follower cant be pushed down in the mag without difficulty.   I use a finger nail file to do the removal.   I cant afford 20,000 for a gun so this is the closest ill get.    I have shot a friends that has the folding stock he bought from apex.   id say we were shooting maybe 40 yards and the gun is quite accurate.      right now id like to maybe do something about the black shiney plastic and get it  dulled down a bit or paint it the bakelite color to look more realistic. .    any suggestions?  

peter

#10 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:12 AM

I just SBR'd mine. Stock was a bit of a pain to install, but i'm happy with it. Also interested in improving the cosmetics of the gun.

#11 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

There are reasonably priced repro Bakelite furniture sets for the original MP40 on eBay. The set would be a cosmetic improvement for the GSG pistol if it can be modified to fit.

#12 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 680 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Also found and purchased a two piece set from Germany that is supposed to fit the GSG. Price was dirt cheap. Will advise on quality and usability.