Do you have a registered reciever , a DIAS , or a lightning link ? There is no " timing " on an M-16 like there is on a M1917 / M1919 . The auto sear keeps the hammer back until the carrier gives it a whack just before lock up . A round in the chamber and ejection of the previous case indicates full bolt travel .

I'd look at the sear / hammer notches and see if there is some wear . If it's a registered receiver , sears and hammers and triggers are cheep .

Another thing to look for is a broken hammer pin , that's been known to cause problems . It can break in the center and look normal unless removed .

HTH , Chris

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem and it was the sear. The sear had cracked at the pin hole. Changed out the sear and fixed the problem. I also smoothed the edges on the new sear and removed a few little burrs. Good luck.

The most common cause for this is bolt bounce. The bolt closes, then bounces back slightly just as the hammer is falling. The cure is to go to a heavier buffer. Check to see what buffer you have and go to a heavier one. There are the regular "H" buffers ("H" means "heavy") then there are H2 and even H3 buffers, which get even heavier.

A good place to research this is AR-15.com, in the Armory forums. There is a specific forum dedicated to the M-16.