M14 Firing Experience

DGinGA

Last month, I went to Knob Creek for the first time. Combination of Mecca and Woodstock for the MG set. One could rent MG's, and as I've thought about getting an M14, did so ($50 per 20 round mag, I fired four). I'm 6'1" , 240#, and an experienced shoouter, but on FA it climbed, depite my best efforts. Off a bipod it would be fine, but I see why the selector was removed early on. Haven't decided about getting one or not.

I prefer the Armalite AR10.

Almost bought a transferable M14, until I fired it in the standing position.

If you like that configuration, try a Ruger AC556.

We have a Sales Sample AIN Dutch manufactured one.

Lighter than the M14 and has a two piece buffer system that helps direct the recoil straight back, this helps in limiting muzzle climb.

There are a few transferables out there, built on the parts kits that were imported years ago.

Sometimes they pop up on the boards.

All depends on what you are looking for in larger caliber, (7.62x51) shoulder fired MG.

Did you dump a mag when you shot the M14, or just two to three rounds at a time?

There is the BAR 30-06, heavier and easier on the shooter.

Cost and enjoyment...

Edited by fifthmdec

M14 shooting experiences all depend on how the gun is set up. In standard configuration they are pretty rough like a G3 or FAL, but that's what happens with most small guns with big bullets. They can be tamed significantly with modifications like the Rock/ SOPMOD setup which gives you a suppressed machine gun with much lower recoil and sub 1/2 MOA accuracy in semi. Unfortunately production was halted rather swiftly due to a sale of the company that produced them. There are at most 4 transferables.

I suppose you could hang a 10# weight off the forend and that would moslty eliminate muzzle rise and give you better than a BAR? For looks I prefer the E2 setup.

Its been a long time since I read the Army manual on the M14, but I seem to remember the manual encouraged fast semi firing instead of FA, even from the bi-pod. So even the Army doubted the M14s effectiveness on FA.

As a side note,---my brother was a Corpsman in VN and told me a story about the FA M14. Once on a patrol, the point man came upon 2 NVA sitting close together . He wacked them both with a long burst. No doubt a rather strong Marine.

Jim C