Tommy Gun Collectibles 2020 Product Catalog

Gents,

I was talking to Richard at Tommy Gun Collectibles this week and he said he’s putting together several product catalogs for 2020 so folks don’t need to check his website all the time. The first catalog will be Colt related items and should be out in January with the second being WWII items in April. I bet a bunch of you have heard about it but just making sure everyone knows. You need to go to his website to sign up though, the info is about halfway down the main page.

https://www.tommyguncollectibles.com/

No I’m not getting paid for this but I have had many an interaction with Richard and he’s a pleasure to deal with, always treats me more than fairly and has lots of very interesting items in stock.

and I third that!

My collection would not be so rich, without the assistance that Richard has given me to add some of my rarer items to it.

It is always a pleasure to do business with Richard, he is a real gent.

Stay safe

Richard

I whole heartedly agree. Richard converted a '28 Savage knurled actuator for me, with a near one month turn around time. It ran like a top in my '28 overstamp, during my conjugal visit Sandman's Palace. Unfortunately, I can't submit pics as I left it in the weapon......sorry guys. I know he would happily do the same for anyone else.

Andy

Congratulations. The vertical fore grip is definitely worth a dollar! Take a picture from the top showing us the long channel. Are there any markings inside the channel? Could you also measure the screw that came with the grip.

Thanks!

The below information is from one of my previous posts regarding vertical fore grip screws:

The below picture shows the difference in length between the grip screw (top) and vertical grip screw (bottom). The vertical grip screw is longer. Many, if not all of the West Hurley vertical fore grips use the readily available GI shorter grip screw - for obvious reasons. The shorter grip screw does work but usually will not protrude through the grip mount. Sometimes the shorter grip screw will only tighten into the grip mount a few threads. One fix is to deepen the screw recess on the vertical fore grip. I assume this is done with many reproduction grips.

grip and fore grip screws crop.jpg

It appears to me the screw in Canada is a commonly found grip screw, not a vertical fore grip screw. With no letter "S" in the grip mount channel....

All comments are welcome.

Well i dont know about the screw but i personally believe this grip is ww2 era and not a repro considering where i found it and the fact it has the sling mount. I dont even know if thats the original screw its just what was with it but i will keep the grip for display since i feel its from ww2.

So this is a west hurley grip ? I know nothing about these grips i just want to know what i have because if its ww2 era i would sell it to a collector if its a later copy with little value i wouldnt want to sell it as original and i will keep it for display. I did pay $1.00 for it lol I didnt even know what west hurley was or that they made reproductions . So when would this grip have been made if its not from ww2.

canada2020,

My thoughts based on pictures is the grip is a post World War II reproduction. If the grip mount channel had a letter "S" stamped in the channel and the screw was the proper length (not a grip screw) then I may be convinced it is a vertical fore grip from a WW II Thompson submachine gun. That said, you did well. Everyone on the Forum would have paid a dollar for it, original or reproduction. If any member is convinced you found an original Savage or Colt's fore grip, I bet you have a Private Message(s) wanting to deal.

I suggest you keep it until you are 100% sure of the origin. Or you are happy with a profit. Thank you for sharing and visit us often. You will find the Thompson community is a good place to visit.

So this is a west hurley grip ?

I don't believe West Hurley ever made front (or rear) grips that came anywhere close to looking like that one.

Every one of their own production grips I've seen looked like an indifferent grade school shop project.

No offense to those talented students who do better.

Most definitely a modern reproduction.The contours have been sanded down as you can still see small traces of the darker stain that hasn't been sanded as much. It is also too flat in width to be anything else. I have one of these that I sanded in a similar fashion to appear more correct.

MH

Yeah i have no idea like i said i just found it with no other parts. I just dont understand why anyone would go through all the trouble of making such a nice reproduction with the sling mount and everything and why it was in canada in some old box when you really dont see thompson machne guns in canada. Maybe it came off some nice replica or something but why was it not with the rest of the gun then because a thompson sub machine gun is nothing without its foregrip lol But I have no idea but it sure fits my hand good i wish i had the gun to go with it. Im still not 100% convinced its not from ww2.

Yeah i have no idea like i said i just found it with no other parts. I just dont understand why anyone would go through all the trouble of making such a nice reproduction with the sling mount and everything and why it was in canada in some old box when you really dont see thompson machne guns in canada. Maybe it came off some nice replica or something but why was it not with the rest of the gun then because a thompson sub machine gun is nothing without its foregrip lol But I have no idea but it sure fits my hand good i wish i had the gun to go with it. Im still not 100% convinced its not from ww2.

People go through the trouble of making nice reproduction grips or stocks even today. Deerslayer makes fantastic wood items for the Thompson so there’s precedent. As for trying to figure out how it got to where it is, that will always be a mystery but weirder things have happened. There are several members who have deactivated Thompsons or even Japanese blank firing guns, there could be many reasons a grip ended up in the mystery bin at a garage sale. While we all are human, I would trust the members of this board to give you an honest and accurate assessment as they have written the book (in TD’s case literally) on Thompsons. Good luck.

Questions concerning Thompson parts with an unknown heritage are very common. Please continue your research and let us know what you find out. If an original Colts or Savage fore grip, it can be worth well over $500. However, the two sling swivel screw holes can be problematic for top dollar.

I suggest corresponding with Board Member Canuck, a very honorable Thompson collector in Canada. He would be your best source of information. If mine, I would ask Canuck (Peter) is he would physically examine the grip. I bet all it would cost you would be postage.

• 9 months later...

I see Richards website has been suspended, when I tried to acces it today.

"This Account has been suspended".

Stay safe

Richard