1927A1 Shorten The Barrel

Has anyone here shortened the barrel and permenately attached the cutts compensator for an overall length of 16.5 inches? if so, was it worth the time and expense? Are ther any recomendations for a gunsmith to do the work? I have a 90s vintage West Hurley in its stock barrel configuration and I'm wondering it this modification is worth my time. I really don't want to go the SBR route with this gun, so I thought this would be a reasonable alternative. Here is a picture of my gun. I plan to use it in Zoot shooting matches and just general fun. any insight will be appreciated!

post-258219-0-84944000-1345418267_thumb.jpg

Frankly and even though there's extra money involved I'd go with the SBR Route. When this is done you at least have something that looks original. Additionaly, I expect it would bring a premium when it comes time to sell as it will eventually for all of us. I did just that and have never regretted it.

Jim

Edited by james m

Enforcer,

I agree the best route to go if you can legally is the SBR. Check with Bob at Phily Ordance he did have some new barrels and could do the work. Then if you wanted you could put a 28 lower on it and you would have a nice piece,

Good luck

Frank

I took care of that 17 years ago this Month. I picked up and moved out of the Peoples Republik of Illinois after being stuck in that hell hole for 16 years due corporate to work requirements. During that time I'm sure I could have bought several Thompson,etc. as the pricing in the early 80s wasn't all that bad. You are correct in that you can't own anything full auto there unless you happen to be a member of the Gangsta Diciples or Emmanuel's bodyguard. Apparently Chicago has now passed Washington D C as being the murder capitol of the United States.

I've lived in Arizona, which probably has the distinction of being the State most sued by the current "Federal" Government, for the past 17 years and have never once looked back. Our Sherrif sends you a memo thanking you for using his services every time they process a Form Four. Turnaround time is generally 2 weeks.

Jim

Edited by james m

I wish I could go the SBR route, but this kommunist state doesn't allow SBRs.

Shame. While the pinned/welded comp won't be as nice as a true SBR, it will greatly improve the look of the gun. Under the circumstances I'd go for it.

Bob D

A rifle with a barrel less than 16" (SBR) requires registration and a tax stamp issued by the ATF just like a machine gun. You can make it yourself using a Form 1 if state law allows.

Paul Krogh at Diamond K is the man if you want the work done. He did the original 16" rework and the SBR for me.

Not trying to be snoopy, but can you give me a range of about what it costs to convert one, I know it's 200 for the stamp & Class III guys charge about a buck 25, so what's the rest cost ( about ) I might consider a change over on an old 27 Kahr I have. I'd probably use Diamond K too as I live in Colorado.

Thanks-

OCM

OCM,

The only cost is the Form I $200 stamp you don't need a class three dealer to file. You can fill out the paperwork yourself and have your local PD to do the two sets of fingerprints and sign off. My PD didn't charge me anything and I sent my papers to ATF.

The only other cost is the cost of a barrel and instillation. You can check with PK or Bob at Phily Ordance on time frame and cost. Remember you must have form I before work can be done.

Good luck

Frank

Thanks Frank,

Might just consider that, assume it's the same 6-7 month waiting time. So basically you get the sheriff to sign off, two sets of finger prints, two photos, $200.00 check and the Form 1 and mail to the ATF . Wait for the return stamp, then start the conversion process with whomever.

Little concerned that it might look like a hybrid gun, barrell not matching the receiver as an example, or is that a concern?

Correct ?

Thanks,

OCM

OCM,

That is it. Just that time wait thing. If your gun is blued than the match shouldn't be a concern. while your waiting find a 28 lower to install on your reciever and that Kahr will become a different looking gun.

Frank