Question for Larry Wank

Hi Jim:

Thanks for the note and had to assume the question was for me although my last name is "Wack" and I only assume your spell checker missed that one :blink: Just do me a favor and don't put an "O" on the end of that!

Within the thousands of early FBI documents I've examined regarding firearms, I can say that I've never heard of the use of any Remington pistols of any type during that era. Not issued by the Bureau anyhow. Secondly, I'm not sure what an "unofficial" gun of the era was for the Bureau and have never really heard that term used anywhere.

Although there's no description of what they are, the 1929 regulations to the field that we've found clearly reveal that SAC's were authorized to maintain a limited amount of firearms in the office safe and that agents had to ask permission to use or carry one if going on a dangerous assignment. While I do not have any, there's no doubt that Hoover would have required SAC's to maintain accurate inventories of those safes in the offices. (Even back then weapons were purchased with budget money from Congress so accountability was a necessity.)

I've attached, off the top of my head, 3 docs that indicate that most probably prior to the '33 period, Smiths and Colts played the major role of handguns at the offices. Even with the ammo purchased. I think you'll see some wording in there pertaining to "old guns."

I don't think we have a very clear picture of what was going on during those very early days of the Bureau prior to 1924 and Hoover's taking of the reigns. I will say that perhaps this interview of SA Roy McHenry at my site gives us at least some insight into the period around 1917 with weapons. You'll see he mentions a Smith .35. Go here to read it:

http://historicalgmen.squarespace.com/special-agent-roy-mchenry-19/

Technically, during Hoover's beginnings in 1924, agents were not allowed to carry personally owned weapons until the mandate of August, 1934 was finally issued to the field allowing such.

My first inclination to the mention of that Remington would be to ask the conveyor of that info, "What or who is your source on this?" Remington most probably has a "historian" on board and you might check with them to see if they have any record of this.

See the attached and hope this helps somewhat.

larry

post-258934-0-83718700-1410273037_thumb.png

post-258934-0-02011500-1410273039_thumb.png

post-258934-0-95011300-1410273039_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Larry,

Thanks for responding. Sorry about getting your name wrong. I see Sandy has already left a PM advising me of my error.

Prior to posting I had already read the items you have recommended reading, including the part about the S&W 35.

The term "unofficial gun" was an invention of my own. It means a gun that an individual took it upon himself to buy for his own personal protection, with out permission from the Bureau of investigation, at a time when the bureau had no arrest powers.

Probably someone knew someone, whose great grandfather worked for the Bureau in 1919, and claimed to have carried a Remington. I guess that's how these things get started.

Thanks again.