When Are We Going To Chat?

Alright, we will do it tonight. I will be back later with details, YOUR LUCKY THE WEATHER SUCKS HERE!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Cya tonight.

Jr

Here is the IP

You will probably have to back to www.ventrilo.com and download the recent client version of the software as its changed up some.

The chat server is open and has no official begin or end time. If you are the only one there, dont worry I will be checking back every little bit.

Go for it guys!

John Jr

John, Jr. - Thanks for the Thompson chat tonight.

Kyle - where were you http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

You convinced me to start the server again, but where were you Kyle?

Not to worry. We will be doing it again.

Enjoyed the creek talk tonight gentleman and another interesting modification by PhilOhio. TD discussed the refinished Thompsons that were "destroyed" and on the market for an unsuspecting collector. Lots of good info as usual.

Take care all

Jr

Never saw the notice. We had Mass @ 5pm and then I worked on my taxes until Band of Brothers came on @ 8PM. Didn't jump back onto the board until after 10pm.

Even though I have the DVD set and have watched the series probably 8 times, I still watched it again last night. I don't know Spielberg's politics nor do I care. BTW- He was executive producer along with Tom Hanks. Hanks directed the Crossroads episode but Spielberg did not direct any of the individual episodes.

I'm sorry, but I don't share yall's cynicism. I don't see how anyone can diminish the courage and sacrifice of Dick Winters and the men he lead just because they have a prejudice against the fellow tying to retell the story. As long as the principals are on board, and I know the are in this case, so am I. In fact, this is how Ambrose came to write the book. Winters approached Ambrose with the task of accurately recording the history of Easy Company in order to preserve and honor the accomplishments of not any one man, but of the company as a whole. The fact that Spielberg and Hanks come along and reenact that story visually, doesn't diminish their valor or honor.

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Apr 12 2004, 01:25 PM)
Perhaps why they worked so hard to hype this thing the second time around was because people stayed away in droves the first time, after the first episode or two.  So they are again trying to salvage some bucks from this DOA turkey.  I'm betting ratings will be worse the second time than the first.

Are you sure about this?

It's already been announced that Hanks and Spielberg are working together on a new project which will be similar to Band of Brothers but set in the PTO.

Perhaps those of you who are repulsed by Hollywood created theatrical war movies should stick to the Hollywood created documentary war movies like "Memphis Belle," "Battle Of San Pietro," "Thunderbolt," "Why We Fight," etc. Maybe William Wyler, Frank Capra, Geroge Stevens and John Huston had purer motivations when they made their WWII documentaries, but there is no such thing as a piece of film that does not contain some bias, ideology, philosophy or point of view of the director, editor or camerman. The fact that Spielberg makes some casual reference to antisemitism in the U.S. armed forces during WWII does not sink the entire production.

If anything, there was much more RACISM during WWII than anything else. Blacks, Japanese-Americans, Native Americans suffered far greater than anyone that was jewish.

Yah, we were fighting an enemy that was racist and antisemetic, but there was plenty of that sentiment in the United States and in the armed forces as well. But to say that these groups suffered far more than anyone who was Jewish is an odd statement to make considering the period we are talking about. Ira Hayes left to die? He was his own worst enemy and seemed to find solace at the bottom of a bottle. He also had a movie made about him. Of course the armed forces were segregated in WWII, but that didn't deter the Tuskeegee Airmen from compiling the best fighter cover record in Europe. And there is a movie about their deeds also. I can't fathom the outrage that those who were not apart of the WWII generation should be exempt from making films about the war. I think that if you were to poll the WWII vets who have seen recent WWII movies honoring their service, their immediate respone would not be, "Oh boy!, were we maligned by that film. It's a waist to even spend a portion from our dissability checks to purchase a ticket when that money only winds up lining the pockets of some creepy Hollywood wunderkind." Those vets who don't go to the movies to see what they experienced first hand would probably wonder what the fuss was about anyway.

Mel Gibson might make a better WWII movie because he is a Christian fundalmentalist? Maybe the next film released will not be a Speilberg production, but rather Gibson's "The Passion of G.I. Joe"?

What a bizarre turn of threads. We missed you last night Kyle.

I have a real simple fix for this whole movie, hollywood, anti this anti that, Gibson, S. Spielberg, twisted anit cristian whatever the hell its called: Turn the fucking TV off!

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hollywood never was, and never claimed to be, anything other than a business that makes movies for profit. That's why they call it show business. Two of the best movies made were critical films about Hollywood itself, i.e. "Sunset Boulevard" and "All About Eve." There was also a documentary called "Hollywood Babylon" that was made in the 90's. " I would rather see two good films about the subject than 100 inferior ones. Speilberg's particular ouevre is his prediliction for presenting most of his material through the prism of a 12 year-old boy. Who does not know this before seeing one of his pics, "Schlinder's (actual sp) List" not-withstanding. Now that Gibson, a long time Hollwood A List player, made a King's ransom with "Passion," using the money he made from his sophomoric films, (aside from Braveheart), there will be a spate of films featuring a holly theme. Of course Hollywood made religious themed movies by the gross back in the 50's, but they may not count for some because of the possibilty of the directors' unctuous motivations. Since when have principles, morality, and ethics ever been the hallmark of any big business? Why would anyone be shocked that Hollywood would churn out product that may, or may not, be wholly embraced by their way of life?

McCarthy was, by those who knew him outside the Senate, a very amiable gentlemen. But to expect Hollywood to ever condescend to make a flattering film about him would be the height of hypocrisy. Since we all know that no Hollywood director could believe in their heart that Joe was anything but the scourge of liberal elites, wouldn't the same out cry that is being made here about Spielberg making ideological WWII films he doesn't really believe in also apply to a Hollywood director going gung ho for Old Joe?

Thanks for asking! I sat and waited for this bird all day opening saturday and he finally came in at 4:30 and I blew him away!

One shot, not a flop. He was an average bird like I usually get. He went around 20+ lbs, 10" beard, 1 1/4 inch spurs. I never can kill one bigger than that. My Dad got a nice 24 pounder with a 14 inch beard last year. He has all the luck. Hes been doing it for nearly 40 years, I have been doing around 21 years.

Here he is

http://www.cswnet.com/~luther/turkey.jpg

John Jr

It is Belgian made in 1960. 32" Full Choke. I have never missed with it, not even once. Browning smears colt in every way shape form and fashion and always did. After all colt never designed much of anything. Look what JMB did.

Jr

Phil,

Is that "Golden Rule" do it unto others before they do it unto you? But McCarthy had nothiong to do with HUAC. He didn't go after Hollywood so much as the state department and the military.

John J,

I suppose then Hiram Maxim eclipses Browning also since it is his design that paved the way for the 1911, 1917, BAR, Hi Power, etc. You would think with the name Moses, it would be Browning leading the way for others. But he did entrust Colt to manufacture his designs. And as much as Browning detested Thompson, he didn't dissassociate himself from Colt. Practicality trumps pride when it comes to business.

I give the credit where it’s due. The designer of the firearm deserves the credit. H. Maxim, John Browning, John Thompson, John C. Garand, Mauser, Stoner, the Russian AK dude, etc... These people were not the ones who mass-produced someone else’s design on an assembly line.

Browning’s designs were mass-produced by multiple manufacturers, Winchester, Colt, FN, Remington, and tons of others and these manufacturers are still doing so to this day.

After all we are talking about a regular man standing behind a regular machine milling parts. Some companies did better jobs than others, some did not. But remember this: Companies don't design guns; they merely build them and stamp their name on the finished product. The man who designed the gun deserves and has earned all the credit.

Say your home is invaded by a drug crazed murderer intent on killing your family and you defend yourself with a 1911 that has Colt written on the side or one that has Wilson Combat written on the side. Who really cares what is written on the side? John Browning’s design saved you and your families life. He deserves the credit, not Colt or Wilson.

John Thompson had enough foresight to not sell his invention to the Colt company. He let them make his gun after Savage turned down the contract. Interesting enough that Colt was offered the WW2 contracts and turned them down and Savage accepted them.

A firearm manufacturer is just that and nothing more. We are talking about factory guns. I don’t know where that leaves the NAC guns. Or a post dealer sample or a reweld, but factory guns regardless of maker are the same thing when discussing Savage and Colt. 15000 guns from the Colt line or 1,000,000 guns from the Savage line; it’s still just a regular man standing behind a regular machine milling parts.

Jr

John J,

I don't know how you have managed to avoid the Sandmen when you are now several months overdue for renewal through Carousel.

The designers intentions are only as good as the manufacturer that produces the finsihed product. Some are up to the task; some are not. The numerous manufactures that have attempted to produce the original Colt 1911 .45 is a case in point. As to the generalization that all factory produced weapons are merely a matter of a "regular man standing behind a regular machine milling parts," totally dismisses the variable of the human equation. Not all machinists can be said to be of equal ability or approach their work with equal pride. The CNC machines today have removed the human factor all together.