Govt. Shutdown Form 3 Efiles?

Robert Henley

I bought an out-of-state transferable C&R gun on 12/22/18. Later that day, the government shutdown began. I like the quick transfer to my local dealer, so the seller (a SOT) attempted to transfer the gun to my local dealer on an efile Form 3 rather than to me on my C&R license. I'm still waiting for the transfer to my local dealer, and it's been almost one month.

My question is I heard BATF was processing some efile Form 3 forms after the military and law enforcement transfers, and it was taking about 10 days for an efile Form 3. Does anyone have any information on efile Form 3 filings during this shutdown (which on a political note I heard was costing the economy $1.2B a week over a $5B (or less after negotiations) wall, so if these figures are correct this will go down as one of the stupidest acts of all time--not to mention the hardship it's creating on federal employees going without pay, which my understanding is they will get paid eventually which if true makes no sense for them not to be working as it will be a paid vacation).

Thanks,

Robert

ive heard of others waiting from your time line...i am also waiting for 2+ weeks now too

heard this morning some predict this could go on for months...

i have not heard of anyone getting an efile since the shut down

i also heard 10 days...im on 18+ days

Edited by huggytree

I bought an out-of-state transferable C&R gun on 12/22/18. Later that day, the government shutdown began. I like the quick transfer to my local dealer, so the seller (a SOT) attempted to transfer the gun to my local dealer on an efile Form 3 rather than to me on my C&R license. I'm still waiting for the transfer to my local dealer, and it's been almost one month.

My question is I heard BATF was processing some efile Form 3 forms after the military and law enforcement transfers, and it was taking about 10 days for an efile Form 3. Does anyone have any information on efile Form 3 filings during this shutdown (which on a political note I heard was costing the economy $1.2B a week over a $5B (or less after negotiations) wall, so if these figures are correct this will go down as one of the stupidest acts of all time--not to mention the hardship it's creating on federal employees going without pay, which my understanding is they will get paid eventually which if true makes no sense for them not to be working as it will be a paid vacation).

Thanks,

Robert

I have been waiting over 2 weeks also. I guess the backup will build and wait times will continue to increase.

Robert, what do you mean when you say 'after the military and law enforcement transfers'? I understand law enforcement, but does the ATF have anything to do with military transfers?

I was thinking more of law enforcement transfers but here's some basic information on both:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2014-1-manufacturinginventory-machineguns-le-and-military

Thanks for that link. Been a while since I saw that one.

I still don't see why an eForm 3 should take 10 to 20 times longer than before the shutdown.

i dont think its going to be shut down again....trumps now said - the walls being built...either you get something for it? or you do nothing and get nothing for it..so he is just going to use executive powers in 3 weeks....it would be stupid to shut down, open and shut down again...people would really hate him

its over

ive got an efile from 3 weeks ago...ill assume ill see it in 2-3 weeks now

As I indicated above, one of the all-time stupidist things I've ever seen. Nothing accomplished, except rising disfavorable ratings.

We'll see now on the item I bought on 12/22/18; hopefully, quickly transferred to my local dealer (which was efiled on 12/22/18).

I planned on getting a suppressor this year. What's the general consensus, given the government shutdown as far as turnaround times? Would I be better off punting on this until next year? Yes, I'll be waiting even longer if I do that, but it's a different state of mind. If I have to pay for the suppressor and tax stamp upfront, and now I'm waiting, I'll me more annoyed with extremely long and unusual waits, than if I just did it next year and had it take a normal amount of time Edited by MisterB

So youd rather wait until 2020 because the wait might be less? But your waiting another year?

I think the recent up turn is from the 10,000 silencer co deal from July 2018

It should come down a bit in 3 months.

But what will be the next thing to increase it ?

Just expect 9 months

Might be 6. Might.be 12

So youd rather wait until 2020 because the wait might be less? But your waiting another year?

Just expect 9 months

Might be 6. Might.be 12

Think I pretty well already explained my thinking

Just submit and deal with the wait if you want to play the game. Think of those shelling out tens of thousands and waiting a year +. Submit form 4 and forget about it for a year. Dont spend time calling NFA every week asking about status. Patience is virtue. This is not an instant gratification niche of our hobby.

Ron

Just expect 9 months

Might be 6. Might.be 12

Think I pretty well already explained my thinking

Either way you're waiting. Each day you wake up, your waiting. Doesn't matter when you put it in. So you might as well start getting annoyed.

I called BATFE yesterday to do a status check on a F4 filed last August. They are no longer quoting 7 months or any other time frame. They are in a bit of disarray from the shutdown and scrambling to get running again. I asked about F3 e-files and they said that they are prioritizing them at the moment (I assume to the detriment of processing other forms) in order to clear that queue while they get the other parts of their organization functioning.

you just lost 6 weeks..so what was once 7 months is now 8.5 minimum

due to the silencer co july 2018 give away deal its only going up further!!!....once its past august 2018 it should start coming back down again...might get back to 1 year again