Dummy 45 Acp

A number of outfits sell .45 snap caps...a plastic "cartridge" with a rubber or spring loaded insert in the primer pocket. For the big sporting goods distributors, Cabelas sells them as does LL Bean and Dunns. Most of the other distributors usually stock them too. I also see them all the time at the local gun shows and shops.

OTOH, if you're cheap like me, you can always make your own. When I've made them in the past, I've always drilled a couple of holes in an empty case (easy to ID them later...NO possibility of mistakenly loading a live round... just be sure to polished the burrs from around the holes you drill before you load the brass into your dies), punch out the old primer, seat and crimp a bullet in place, and then glue a piece of a pencil eraser in the primer pocket. They work pretty well, and doing it this way, I can make pretty much any type of dummy round I want/need... FMJ/RNL/SWC/HP/etc...

I’m with Bill, I load my own. Try “brass black” to color the cases for identification.

You can buy factory dummies from Brownells.

I picked up a set of snap caps, and they jam in the chamber, I had to use a wooden dowel to drive them out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

I like the brass base and red plastic ones,

I have some of the dark brown A-zoom aluminum ones but quality control was down at the pub, my extractors leave them in the chamber as often as not and they fall out of half and full moon clips for my revolvers. The A zoom snap caps seem to last longer but I was not impressed.

Aside from Brownells, you could try Cabella's; Midway(reloading supplies); and Gil Hebard Guns usally has a pretty good stock of them if you are in the mid west and have his catalog...

BB

Are you looking for rounds without primers or powder and how many are you looking for?

Wanting 50 or so rounds to load a drum could get expensive if using snap caps and won't look as good as FMJs.

If you don't want to drill out rounds and empty the powder I am sure there are plenty of reloaders on the board who would be happy to make a few rounds without powder and primers for you.