50 rd L Drum For M1A1

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/781720216

o9eo6j.jpg

I dont know if this is very clever work or did someone ruin a vintage L Drum??

Seller say made years ago. Have you members heard of this?

Great way for M1a1 users to get a drum fix!

$800 bucks. If it was 100 or $150 i would buy it

Take care if considering this drum.

I don't see a feed tower. If it doesn't have a feed tower it will only if the receiver is modified.

Jim C

A feed tower, as such, is not needed. The lips from the sacrificial stick mag are welded on the top of the outlet port and feed into the generous (designed to accommodate double stack, double feed magazines) feed ramp area of an unmodified M1 receiver.

MP

Are these Merle drums still made or is it a one off?? I would be interested in getting one.

At the time Merle did the modification pictured, he had jigs and a defined process to perform the modification which, IIRC, included test firing. He did not supply the drum to be modified or the sacrificial stick magazine body that is needed to be cut up for the spine and lips. As the pictures illustrate, the result is very professional. And the drum performed flawlessly when fired in the M1A1 I had.

I do not have any idea how many drums he modified over the years that he performed the service, but I'm fairly certain it was more than one. Unless others can chime in otherwise, I believe that you'll need to contact him with regard to whether he still performs the service.

MP

Gunmachines of Trinidad Co. made a short run of these in the early 1990's . They were never a big seller I was told. I did buy one for my 1st Thompson a M1A1. They were made with Valentine L Drums . It always ran perfect I can never remember a feeding malfunction . I board member bought it when he bought my M1A1 a few years ago. Maybe he can give a update I know he still has it.

DSCN0820.JPG

I am not sure Merle is taking orders anymore. He might enjoy a chat though!