1928 New York

S-72200 could very easily have been a British Ministry of Supply cash & carry purchase in 1941. There is really no way to know for sure, but that is a likely past for this Thompson gun.

jlouis1975,

Based on your picture of the right side receiver nose with the British Crown marking and Broad Arrow ownership stamp, S-72200 is a British Ministry of Supply cash and carry purchase in 1941. I am far from an expert on British markings but agree with Board member Adg105200, below. The Crown stamp represents the Royal Crown and the E stamp represents the Royal Small Arms factory at Enfield. Perhaps other Board members can add more information regarding the markings.

hello Adg105200, what does this marking represent ??? is it a crown ???thank you for your reply....

Yes, next to the W and the E is the British Crown stamp and above is the Broad Arrow stamp.

Andrew

There were two visible numbers on a Thompson gun when it left the factory. The number on the left side of the receiver is "THE" serial number of the Thompson gun. The number on the frame where the butt stock attached matched the serial number on the receiver, again when the Thompson gun left the factory. However, it is very common with military guns for the frames to swapped around from gun to gun. Thus, the number of the frame often does not match the serial number on the receiver. This condition is referred to in collector circles as a mis-match. Your Savage Thompson gun has a mis-matched receiver and frame.

The "S" serial number prefix on your receiver and frame indicates a both parts were manufactured by Savage Arms in Utica, New York. The serial number prefix for the Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport, Connecticut (AOB) plant was "A.O."

thank you to all members of the forum for this information,

can you tell me more about the round parts behind the spring, I saw that in some cases it is square ....

at home we find can books in French about the weapons of the second war......

long live google translator !!!

post-261533-0-12864500-1516637681_thumb.jpg

Edited by jlouis1975

thank you to all members of the forum for this information,

can you tell me more about the round parts behind the spring, I saw that in some cases it is square ....

at home we find can books in French about the weapons of the second war......

long live google translator !!!

Yes, the red piece is the buffer. The steel rod in front of it is the buffer pilot which just keeps the buffer in place and guides the spring keeping it in place and from kinking. There should be a manufacturer stamp on the edge of the buffer pilot.

Andrew

.....mark

Same marking on my Model of 1928....also deactivated...

Bienvenue sur le forum, es tu Vlamingen ou francophone?

Stay safe

Richard

(ancien légion étrangère français)

Thank you Andrew and bob241 for the buffer 1928 round,

would you have a correct link for disassembly and reassembly ???

Richard I am fracophone ..... I live in Ardenne in Wallonia ..... ;-)

Not sure if this will help you. It is a video in English:

Do you plan on disassembling the trigger frame (lower receiver)?

Andrew

Thank you Andrew and bob241 for the buffer 1928 round,

would you have a correct link for disassembly and reassembly ???

Richard I am fracophone ..... I live in Ardenne in Wallonia ..... ;-)

FM23-40 1941 & French version.JPG

If you wish, send me your email address via the Forum message system, and I'll forward you scans of the relevant pages from the French language FM23-40.

Stay safe

Richard