Questions On My New 1928

I finally got to pick up my 1928 Thompson today. I spent all day on the road and got backed into on the way home. With sn. # S-110770 I believe it to have been made in April of 1941. It has all early features including the verticle front grip. I believe the butstock to be wrong as it has the cross bolt and stamped sling swivel. It has no US prefix or A1 suffix. Just a plain old 1928.

Here is where I need help. The right side has broad arrow and a few other British proofs including a crown over what looks like 67. The left side has the typical GEG but also the W-Crown from the Netherlands identical to that pictured on page 67 of American Thunder.

If the Netherlands fell to Germany in 1940, how did the gun get the Crown-W proof? Was it really made in 1941? I thought this type proof was added by the receiving country not at the factory. At least I thought that applied to British guns.

I am happy with the gun and if this rain ever stops I intend to blast away tomorrow.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi MP43,

I can't help you with the WWII guns but someone on this board can surely provide some information. Judging by the serial number, it appears you have a fairly early Savage Thompson. I have a few additional questions that may help someone provide a few answers about your Thompson.

1. Do you know if it is a former Police Department gun?

2. Does it have a flat, smooth ejector?

3. Does it have a New York, NY or Bridgeport, Conn address on the right side of the receiver?

This will bring it to the top of the board again. It would be great if you could post a picture or two. Congratulations on your new Thompson.

The 28 has a Bridgeport address. Matching upper and lower. Came from Recon Ord. Sorry, no help on the extractor, it looks both smooth and flat. I don't know what I'm looking for here. I don't know if gun ever was in any police department. I will try to get some pictures in the next few days.

What about the Crown-W proof. Was it put on the gun at the factory or at the country that bought the gun? If Netherlands was taken over by Germans in 1940 and if this is a 1941 gun, how did it get the W proof? The British proofs marks sense but not the Netherland proof also.

QUOTE (MP43 @ May 20 2004, 10:56 PM)
The 28 has a Bridgeport address. Matching upper and lower. Came from Recon Ord. Sorry, no help on the extractor, it looks both smooth and flat. I don't know what I'm looking for here. I don't know if gun ever was in any police department. I will try to get some pictures in the next few days.

What about the Crown-W proof. Was it put on the gun at the factory or at the country that bought the gun? If Netherlands was taken over by Germans in 1940 and if this is a 1941 gun, how did it get the W proof? The British proofs marks sense but not the Netherland proof also.

it sounds like a real nice gun,be happy and enjoy!! ron

Don't know whether it helps or not, but US produced, Dutch ordered M1941 Johnson rifles come to mind when you mention Dutch proofs. One in my collection has the Dutch triangle on the receiver and sword on the barrel. References state that M1941s never made it to Holland before the occupation, but were used extensively against the Japanese in Java and other locations. Those proofs were applied right at the Cranston Arms factory. Whether or not the inspectors were Dutch, or Americans authorized under the Dutch contracts, I don't know. So, the precedent certainly exists for American-applied Dutch proofs.

M1941s used by the USMC had all of the typical Dutch proofs, and were diverted from unshipped Dutch contract rifles.

The M1941 is an incredible rifle, by the way, with features not found on the Garand. It's a joy to shoot and extremely accurate, to boot.

Good luck in getting to the bottom of this interesting little mystery. Congratulations!