Savage U.S. 1928A for inspection...

Hope I didn't post this up years ago! Seeing ScottieBooth's post has prompted me to post up pictures of a friends gun (consequently I blacked out out the serial number). It is S-512XXX. I assumed it was a Lend-Lease gun. Everything appears original, but I'll defer to your collective expertise on that. The wood is very unusual. Note the screws in the buttstock. The grip seems to have been chiseled at, and there are unusual marks on the right side of the horizontal foregrip. All parts are S Savage as far as I can tell. Smooth actuator and both fire control levers are smooth. Looks very similar to the one in ATII, pp. 189. Smooth bbl and patched sling swivel hole with placement on the side. It appears to have the flaming bomb, R.L.B., GEG, but no crown. Also there is a weird "A L 497" stamped beside the serial number. And an Interarms import stamp.

The gun was bought by a Trooper here in KY back in the 70's (I think) for about $168! Any thoughts?

R

PXL_20210127_211036121~2.jpg

PXL_20210127_211046647~2.jpg

PXL_20210127_211058244.jpg

PXL_20210127_211128156.jpg

PXL_20210127_211208736~2.jpg

PXL_20210127_211328749~3.jpg

PXL_20210127_211342782.jpg

PXL_20210127_212248045.jpg

PXL_20210127_212252946.jpg

PXL_20210127_212456017.jpg

PXL_20210127_212522733.jpg

PXL_20210127_212552776.jpg

PXL_20210127_213545392.jpg

PXL_20210127_213937653.jpg

PXL_20210127_213957947.jpg

PXL_20210127_214016331.PORTRAIT.jpg

Rust,

The screws in the buttstock are the British solution to stocks splitting. Their solution predated the crossbolt reinforcement. I cannot see the swivel on the buttstock, but I am guessing it was also moved to the top, British style.

The movement of the foregrip swivel is also typical British. By the time this gun was made, the Brits often reused the Remington foregrip swivel, like this one. Those swivels were placed at different places on the side of the foregrip, so this one is probably British as well.

I do not know what the additional stamps mean. The actuator is smooth, which may or may not be correct in this serial number range.

Do you mean the hand grip or the horizontal foregrip? And why? R

It has an aftermarket vertical foregrip. The buttstock has the British sling swivel modification

AL

Is what's on mine.

It has an aftermarket vertical foregrip. The buttstock has the British sling swivel modification

AL

Is what's on mine.

Yes, what's this AL all aboot then? R

I have a Savage with ALmarks. I'd like to know more about those marks if possible.

MGs with an Interarms, Alexandria, Va stamp are pre-May sales samples, imported between 1968 and 1986, with transfer restricted to dealers only. After the '68 Amnesty and the GCA, all live MGs imported had to be stamped by the importer and were registered as dealer restricted sales samples.
Pre-May samples can be retained by a dealer after he gives up his FFL/SOT. FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII

I am thinking the Australia based on Frank's earlier post's but I do not know for certain. See:

1928 Markings - Thompson Submachine Gun Message Board - MachineGunBoards.com Forums

Another earlier discussion:

Help with markings on my M1A1 - Thompson Submachine Gun Message Board - MachineGunBoards.com Forums

There are probably more posts on this Thompson variation on the forum. Spend some time searching if you have a serious interest.

Offhand, it appears to me that a bunch of Thompson guns with the AL markings were purchased by Interarms (and Interarms markings were added) and sold in the USA as Pre-May Dealer Samples, mostly to police departments. Many of these have found their way to civilian hands. The AL markings, while not common, are definitely not rare.

All good stuff!!!

"Many of these have found their way to civilian hands. The AL markings, while not common, are definitely not rare."

Well, being pre-May sales samples, they are ineligible for transfer to "civilians", meaning private individuals, so circulate among FFL licensees, with some still in police departments, and possibly other official government agencies, etc. I'd guess that most of them have been sold by PDs to raise funds for police needs.

FWIW

Black River Militaria CII,

I agree completely with your above post. However, machine gun dealers are civilians. I would guess most/all of these pre-May dealer sample machine guns really have no value as a product nowadays that is actually going to be demonstrated and sold to a law enforcement or government agency. They are, for the most part, a restricted item for Class 3 dealers to use as shooter guns. I welcome your thoughts as I am not a dealer and will never own one.