Looking to build a 97 trench clone?

Right, Model 97 & 12 barrels need to be grooved for the retaining screws for trench gun bayonet and heat shield assemblies. Also, understand that Winchester Model 12 trench guns had straight taper barrels, where the sporting shotguns commonly used for conversions today do not. Unless the new mount takes this into account, the mount touches the barrel only at the front and rear, and is improperly supported.

Yeah I bought one for my model 12. Works great, need to find a way to keep it on the barrel.

As TSMGguy said, the barrels on Model 12 trench guns do not have the taper like the commercial barrels have. As a result, when the military converted Model 12 riot guns to trench gun configuration they put a sleeve on the muzzle end of the barrel to make the bayonet adaptor fit properly. I've also seen shims used to try and make the adaptor fit properly.

Yeah I bought one for my model 12. Works great, need to find a way to keep it on the barrel.

As TSMGguy said, the barrels on Model 12 trench guns do not have the taper like the commercial barrels have. As a result, when the military converted Model 12 riot guns to trench gun configuration they put a sleeve on the muzzle end of the barrel to make the bayonet adaptor fit properly. I've also seen shims used to try and make the adaptor fit properly.

Ah that's a great idea, I was thinking just a barrel/tube clamp.

Took me awhile to find it, but a 50s or 40s Riot Shotgun Model 12 is what I'm using for my trench gun clone. I just need a stock with a sling mount and to get the heatshield/bayonet lug to not fall off.

A 1897 would be better candidate for the trench shotgun, but can be pricey or kinda hard to find the 18.5 barrel. Or you can chop the original if it's a commercial/hunting variations.

(Not even slightly considering this project, I'm just curious.)

If you were to start with a much longer barrel, 28" or 30" and cut it to the correct 20" length for a Trench would the diameter gain from losing 8"-10" of taper be enough to make the heat shield fit properly?

Got my heat shield from East Taylor. While it fit the M12 trench I was building it looked rough and needed work and bluing. My understanding is that commercial bbls are smaller when cut back. ET shields can be bought to fit the cut commercial bbls. The 3 bayonet mount screws have to bite into the bbl or else it will not stay put.

post-259674-0-47563800-1636297038_thumb.png

post-259674-0-45685700-1636297118_thumb.png

Edited by Baltimoreed11754

• 4 weeks later...