Interesting Buffer Pilot

While going thru my TSMG parts (way too many), this caught my eye. Savage made buffer pilot with an added piece. Looks like it was drilled and the extra piece brazed in. The three other pilots have a nominal measurement of 4.5 oal. The oddball measures 4.72. The part that sticks out of the receiver measures 1 on the normal ones, .90 on the oddball. What do the experts think?

DBEA80E0-CC9C-4096-8137-E5C3DFFB1074.jpeg

C3C571DE-D064-4C7C-ADB8-AF636D0066B3.jpeg

Hi TMAN,

Retirement is great! You need to attend the All Thompson Show & Shoot or the Thompson Collectors Association Show & Shoot in Ohio. How about this year?

Question: Is the buffer pilot in question one of the early ones with axis holes or centers?

This is a first for me. I am thinking the owner, possibly 3rd world country, had a very kinked recoil spring with no replacement and added the extension on the end of the buffer pilot to keep the recoil spring straight - and functional. Just a guess. This is a great display piece and conversation starter.

Thanks for sharing!

TD is probably correct in his assumption. Ive seen this before in a 28A1. Someone welded a .5 piece on the end of the pilot like the one pictured. I probably would have missed it except the weld was noticeable when the weapon was disassembled. Edited by 1921A

The rearward location of the hole makes me think it started as one of the mostly uncommon short pilots.

One of these caused a "birds next" mess of a recoil spring for a board member.

The biggest problem here is:

Assuming a typical pilot and buffer, there is only about .200" clearance between the tip of a pilot and the bottom of the actuator hole, in full recoil.

This looks longer than that, and would explain the bent and peened end of the extension.

Hopefully, the receiver rear was stronger than the "improvement".

Edited by mnshooter