Looks like somebody cut up Grandpa's DEWAT 1928A1.

Sad. It definitely looks like a early milled ejector. Why, in the US, would someone destroy a good barrel like that?

Andrew

Because if it was a registered Dewat (Deactivated WarT rophy), it was a necessary modification to deactivate the gun back in the 1950's. Many Dewats were registered and have been legally reactivated (Rewat) to live guns.

Yes, the gun appeared to be an early Savage 1928 Model with a smooth milled ejector and the early New York, N.Y., address.

Savage Thompson.jpg

asked a 2nd time for more pics....price is a bit nutty w/ how little info there is to go on....might be a S1928......might be a 1928a1 that someone tossed a milled ejector into

GB prices on popular items have been a bit nutty lately.....people are buying as much stuff as they can for too high of prices

Edited by huggytree

asked a 2nd time for more pics....price is a bit nutty w/ how little info there is to go on....might be a S1928......might be a 1928a1 that someone tossed a milled ejector into

GB prices on popular items have been a bit nutty lately.....people are buying as much stuff as they can for too high of prices

If it is a 1928A1, it would likely be one of the hand-stamped varieties with the US and A1 added later. That is a fairly early gun with the milled ejector and New York address. TD could expound more on the topic.

dewat was to save the $200, but then could have been registered under amnesty in 68

this one most likely was not registered...so now its a parts gun

I am fairly certain the $200.00 transfer did not apply to registered Dewats, only live guns.

i thought in 68 everything registered for free....part of the amnesty (i thought so, but im not sure?)

you could buy an AR 15 that morning...rig it to be FA, register it and fix it/tweak it later...

this was the stuff they got away with because the open registry was so wide open to anything illegal......

so some fool didnt register this gun and now they get $1,000 vs $25,000

i thought in 68 everything registered for free....part of the amnesty (i thought so, but im not sure?)

you could buy an AR 15 that morning...rig it to be FA, register it and fix it/tweak it later...

this was the stuff they got away with because the open registry was so wide open to anything illegal......

so some fool didnt register this gun and now they get $1,000 vs $25,000

Huggy,

I meant that if the Dewat was registered in the 1950's it didn't have to be registered again in 1968, it would have already been on the registry. To make it live again would require the $200.00 transfer. Only guns made as machine guns had to be registered in the NFA, not illegally converted semi-automatic rifles.

What some of the other posters were referring to is that this gun may have been a registered Dewat and the paperwork was lost. So whoever cut it may not have checked to see if it was on the registry. If it was it could have been converted back to a live gun, or maybe it was never registered way back when and had to be cut.

my question---being deactivated in what today would be substandard---would it still be 100% legal to own....not registered? with the rod still in the barrel

i assume it would be grandfathered right?

i doubt many registered them in the 1950's as they were $150.....you'd be paying 2x if you added the $200 stamp.....for a wall hanger..im sure some did....doubt any realized they would be worth $20,000 some day.....doubt anyone in 1990 realized they would be worth $20,000 when they were $2,000

Edited by huggytree

I'm sure someone will expand and beat this to death but not with the intact receiver. Receivers have to be torch cut per ATF process. Maybe in the old days saw cut.

my question---being deactivated in what today would be substandard---would it still be 100% legal to own....not registered? with the rod still in the barrel

i doubt many registered them in the 1950's as they were $150.....you'd be paying 2x if you added the $200 stamp.....for a wall hanger..im sure some did....doubt any realized they would be worth $20,000 some day.....doubt anyone in 1990 realized they would be worth $20,000 when they were $2,000

Not with an intact receiver. The benefit was a Dewat could be registered then transferrred tax free via Form 5. This lowered the cost to transfer them vs a registered MG. Also allowed people to own them in states that did not allow live MG ownership. However since the receiver was intact it still fell under the requirements of the NFA. If they were not registered they were contraband and thus an illegal MG. If grandpa had one in his attic that he bought mail order but did not register, it would require the receiver be cut.

Ron

Ron explained this better than my attempt. Maybe the link to this article will assist you in understanding the Deactivated War Trophy program that existed in the 1950's.

https://www.rmgo.org/16-political/gun-law-faqs/bardwell-faq-on-nfa-weapons/30-dewats

so in 1968 if you did not register your dewat you needed to saw cut it

before 1968 you could have your thompson legally over your fireplace with just the rod welded in the barrel and it was legal (not registered)

after 1968 you needed to get it cut into 3 pieces

(sorry for asking what is probably a very basic question to you guys...after 2.5 years in FA i didnt realize how common Dewats were until i bought a Mp40 and found virtually all were Dewats==i never realized how many dewats there were in the registry--my guns are all police guns or sold direct to the public)

Edited by huggytree

before 1968 you could have your thompson legally over your fireplace with just the rod welded in the barrel and it was legal (not registered)

(sorry for asking what is probably a very basic question to you guys...after 2.5 years in FA i didnt realize how common Dewats were until i bought a Mp40 and found virtually all were Dewats==i never realized how many dewats there were in the registry--my guns are all police guns or sold direct to the public)

Before 1968 you could have registered your Dewat tax-free. If you didn't register it prior to 1968 than you had to register it during the amnesty. If you didn't register it at all, then it had to be cut. Unregistered Dewats were only legal in States that specifically allowed them, but if it was never registered prior to 1968, it can't be registered now.

WWII was a big war, many GI's brought home war souvenirs with the blessing of the government, they weren't all smuggled home in barracks bags. Many were registered in the 1950's at the urging of the government as the article points out.

Youll see many ads in American Rifleman and other gun mags for deactivated Stens, MP40s, Thompson, everything. They could be registered before 68 but did not require to be registered. After GCA68, any machine gun by definition had to be registered in the amnesty. This included Dewats as the receiver, aka firearm, was intact. After the amnesty, something like the auction gun was ineligible for transfer. Between 68 and 86 it was only allowed to have new manufacture US made guns to be added to registry or foreign guns as Pre-May samples. Heres where most of the Rugers, West Hurleys, Ingram/Macs, S&W etc came to be. Also tube guns and all sorts of other new manufacture guns.

If anything I said is not exactly spot on I welcome corrections. I too am a bit fuzzy on the 68 to May minutia as I was not involved or too young for that time frame.

Ron