• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 michaelkih

michaelkih

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 675 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:00 PM

I've got to know.  What do Thompson's cost up there between you few full auto collectors?

Edited by michaelkih, 16 November 2018 - 07:00 PM.

#22 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1657 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

Congrats Peter

#23 froster

froster

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:06 PM

You asked about the effect on prices of the laws.  In Canada with an artificially reduced supply and an artificially reduced demand the prices are down to about 10% of normal.   For instance, years ago here I mentioned an ad in a store for a $100 Sten gun.   In the US there is artificially reduced supply but not demand and prices are ten times normal as you know.   What has happened here is that people who can get guns here but not trade or use them are selling them to movie gun companies, like a collector I met from AB who bought three semiauto Indian FALs for $100 each at auction and then she sold them to a movie prop company for $300 each, which sounds like a good deal numerically but as it stands, no normal person will ever benefit from using them again.  If I were doing that sale I would include a clause that if ever freedom returns to the country I or my assigned people would have the right to buy them back for the sale price.   What do you think?

Speaking of prices, it is interesting to note the prices of guns made in North America during WW2 when the dollar was worth 50 of ours.   A Long Branch Sten cost $15

while the #4 rifle contract price was $30 and an Inglis Bren cost $90.  These latter prices may have changed at times because of economizing measures in the designs.

In the US the Garand was so complex that it also cost $90 like many light machine guns and the M1 carbine cost over $40 because it was also complex and there was development going on and wages were high, apparently.

In the fifties when the gov't arsenal built the C1 FAL they were so complex and there were no economy measures such as commercial sales so the price was $300, or $3000 each for our time, which was three times the price the US was paying for M14 rifles.   Since the South Africans made about 250 000 FALs I think CAL in Canada made possibly  80 000 to 300 000 including the heavy barrel models, so the whole cost was high and production ran from 1958 to 1968.   My issue rifle in basic was an 8L lot number, with the cheaper and more practical front sight sheet metal ears and dated 1968.   I wish we could easily find out each country's FAL production figures.

s