Who Bought The Twins ?

http://www.westernfirearms.com/wfc/thompson?set=12

Pair of WHs - consecutive serial numbers from Western Firearms -

I have been watching these for over a month. God what I would give to be able to fork over that kind of dough. Now it is marked "Sale Pending" but I think they were $32k for the pair.

I remember some posts about these on this board a while back. Too expensive, not quite as advertised etc. Looks like he found a buyer though it took a while. They are some SWEET looking guns !

I am an Uzi guy, not a Thompson guru like most of the people on this board, but I am reading reading reading and getting the itch bad. Too rich for my bank account, but it's nice to look and dream. I really thought about snatching these for investment purposes but I know I would shoot them !!

Wonder who took the plunge ?

Buzzer--

I'm guessing that if they were from this board, it would have been posted by now. Of course, I could be wrong. I know what you mean about the itch. I never thought I'd fork over that much money for a hunk of old metal. However, if you do, you will always thank yourself for doing it when you did. I have yet to see a post saying they regretted their purchase for the Thompson SMG.

The UZI is a very nice gun and I enjoy it, along with many others.

But there just isn’t anything like a Thompson- it stands alone. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

I've also thought about the Uzi. I like their look, but if I get another class III piece, I am leaning toward a Vickers. I've already got all the accessories. I'm just a greedy bastard!!! LOL! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Re - Thompson stands alone. Yes, damn it, they do. Life seems at time to be a quest - have an Uzi, want a Thompson (and 20 others).

Ahh the troubles of being an American......

If only I had a way back machine. Read the story of the unfired Colt. A few years ago I read a post somewhere from a A/C repair guy who was digging around in some widow's attic and found a TMG in its case, untouched for who knows how long.

As I recall, he offered her $50 for it to "get it out of the house" and she was glad to take it. Exactly what is was, if it was registered, etc. I don't know but it was an interesting story....

I wanted those twins damn it ! I know they weren't worth it - today.

I am not convinced that consecutive serial numbers on modern production firearms are of much value. Granted, it does look nice if you want to own two of the same type guns - but as to adding a lot of value? I would guess most of the West Hurley Thompsons are still in existence and on the registry for civilian ownership. The serial numbers are known and I would guess the initial shipping records exist. I don’t think it will ever be too hard to put pairs of West Hurley’s together if one is so inclined. Just my thoughts on this...

Buzzer--

I can understand your enthusiasm for the twins, but for the amount they were asking, you could find a very nice older Thompson with lots more character and history. As you probably know, the West Hurleys were the latest Thompson SMG incarnation and typically don't have the value or craftsmanship of the vintage ones. As the other guys have mentioned, I would question whether the consecutive numbers would be an equitible feature for the money. Keep looking; if you have the cash, I'm sure more good things will catch your eye.

Here's an Arms and Ordnance collection for comparison. He had two sets of these,

http://www.arms-ordnance.com/inv/Thompson~5.html

I tried to get my first Tommy from him, but he wouldn't break up a set. As I recall, he wanted 22k per set. One sold, one pending. Neat to look at anyway...

http://www.arms-ordnance.com/inv/THOMPSON~5~ATTT.jpg

re - Western Firearms Twins - I agree that $32K was too high and that consec numbers may not really add that much value. For one thing, you have to find someone who wants to buy 2 and can afford it. That left me out. I really only want one (aside from wanting them all of course) and would spring for one if I found the right deal. 2 at once is too much for me. I would never sell one I bought to own and use, but a set I would have to consider an investment so they would end up safe queens.

re - Arms-Ordinance. They are nice sets. I did not know that they manufactured all those variants, but then again I am not a Thompson guru. They look really nice but I would have to buy 5 guns to get the one I was really after (the 45 auto). How much could you get by selling off the other 4 ?

Looks like you can get a NIB WH 1928 for $12.5K to $15K so if you shelled out $25K for the whole set, if you could sell the other 4 for over $12.5K, you could get the 1928 for a good deal. That's about $3K per gun, 3 of them semis, and one FA 22. I don't think this math works out.....

I did just find a NIB WH 1928 for $15K on Subguns. Is this a good deal ? There is another for $12.9K but its not NIB. Condition is not specified.

Thanks !

Buzzer--

The 15 k for a W.H. seems a bit steep, even for a NIB. Maybe, 12k to 13k maybe more like it. Maybe I'm still suffering from sticker shock of nearly a 40% jump in the past one and a half years. Maybe others would have a different opinion though.

FWIW, I have WH #297A and a friend of mine has #298A. We bought them NIB in 1977 for $650 each. I have been trying for years to get my friend to sell me his as he is not really a gun person but he won't let it go. Also got two WH drums for $100 each when we bought the guns. Those were the good ole days........