Soldered 30-Round Magazine

A few years ago, I purchased six 20-round magazines with the witness holes soldered up from

a fellow board member (Sandman) to go with my cash-and-carry British Model of 1928. Five

of the six mags are Auto Ordnance and one is a Crosby, all in excellent condition. We all know

that the Brits did this to keep the dirt and sand out for use in North Africa in WW II. This past

weekend, I was able to acquire a 30-round mag (a Seymour) with the witness holes soldered up.

The mag has noticeable finish wear and has clearly seen significant use. I was completely

unaware that 30-rounders had been used like this, only having seen 20-rounders prepared

for use in this way. Does anyone have any mags like this or know anything about them?

Would very much like to know more about them. Please reply if you have any info on them...

2 weeks ago I visited a friend who showed me his M1A1 Thompson (purchased because he carried one during his time with 1st Cav in Vietnam).
He has a good supply of mags, and I noted that many of the 30 & 20 rounders had the witness holes soldered up, same as I have seen on STEN magazines.
I did not look at the makers of the magazines.

Richard

• 5 months later...

See attached, British instructions for soldering witness, (observation), holes for both Thompson and Sten magazines.

Armourer Instructions for Soldering Witness Holes.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

• Upvote 2