Felt Recoil Impulse - 28 vs m1

So I shot my '28 and my m1 a ton the other weekend to total of 500 rds in one range session alternating guns. I gotta say the '28 was wayyyyy smoother to the point where I am mildly disappointed in owning my m1, kinda wanna sell it to buy a different MG. My '28 has a repro 1921a (no compensator) barrel so the barrels are the same with the exception of the fins, so i feel it's a pretty fair comparison. The m1 just felt choppier and I could feel it "bottoming out" against the back of the receiver, saving grace for the m1 the sights are way better but to me that's it for now.

Anyone else who owns/shot both extensively feel the same away about the recoil impulse? Not talking about historical significance, rate of fire, blah blah blah

I have shot both and a 28 is noticeably faster and thus to me seem smoother over the M1. I clocked both on that day and the 28 was closer to 800 rpm and the m1 was just over 600 rpm. I think that is what you are feeling. You should feel the smoothness when you have a 21 actuator in the 28.

Edited by ppgcowboy

In general, the slower that an SMG runs, the choppier it feels.

Most people prefer the slower, choppy running guns over the fast guns, but i feel the opposite, I like an SMG to run at least 800 rpm or so.

I was kind of disappointed in how slow and choppy my UZI ran, so i got a thick buffer for it to speed it up.

My M1A1 Thompson has a very slick action and runs nice and fast, so I'm very happy with it. It seems as smooth as my 28.

I prefer shooting my M1A1 over my 28

Did you replace your recoil spring? Maybe an extra-power spring will get the RPMs into your confort zone

how about the ammo? were you using full power, high quality ammo? some of the bulk ammo brands are WAY underpowered, most notably remington/UMC

Edited by buzz

I have shot both and a 28 is noticeably faster and thus to me seem smoother over the M1. I clocked both on that day and the 28 was closer to 800 rpm and the m1 was just over 600 rpm. I think that is what you are feeling. You should feel the smoothness when you have a 21 actuator in the 28.

The 28 should generally have a slower ROF than the M1 with some possible overlap. Sounds like that M1 may have a "soft" recoil spring.

From the original 2000 edition of "American Thunder", page 92, 1928A1 ROF = 600 - 725 RPM; page 126, M1 and M1A1 ROF = 700-800 RPM. And on page 99 there is a discussion of where the early production M1's were rejected because of their ROF exceeded the 28 and then on 9 Dec 42, the Ordnance Department waived the M1's excessive ROF relative to the 28.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

The 28 should generally have a slower ROF than the M1 with some possible overlap. Sounds like that M1 may have a "soft" recoil spring.

From the original 2000 edition of "American Thunder", page 92, 1928A1 ROF = 600 - 725 RPM; page 126, M1 and M1A1 ROF = 700-800 RPM. And on page 99 there is a discussion of where the early production M1's were rejected because of their ROF exceeded the 28 and then on 9 Dec 42, the Ordnance Department waived the M1's excessive ROF relative to the 28.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

I have a program that calculates the rate of fire. The actuator I used put the 28 a little over 800. the 21 actuator at 920 RPM. and M1a1 at just over 600. Your ear could hear the different rate of fire. The M1a1 seemed to chuck along while the 28 and 21 screamed. All were a joy to shoot.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

I have a program that calculates the rate of fire. The actuator I used put the 28 a little over 800. the 21 actuator at 920 RPM. and M1a1 at just over 600. Your ear could hear the different rate of fire. The M1a1 seemed to chuck along while the 28 and 21 screamed. All were a joy to shoot.

1921 actuator pull the rate of fire at 920RPM????? thats seriously alot of weight flying over in a bunch of seconds...impressive..

It would be nice to see a super slow motion comparison of the 3. I definitely think the delayed action of the blish helps keep the 21/28 smoother than the M1/A1

Andrew