Looking to kind of track down where this guns been. I know it was sold by a hardware store in West Virginia to a police department few days after the battle of Blair mountain started. An Im getting it out of an estate who had owned it since the 1970s trying to close that gap of where its been from 1921-1970 if possible. Thanks fellas.

Looking to kind of track down where this guns been. I know it was sold by a hardware store in West Virginia to a police department few days after the battle of Blair mountain started. An Im getting it out of an estate who had owned it since the 1970s trying to close that gap of where its been from 1921-1970 if possible. Thanks fellas.

I would start with a Freedom Of Information Act request on it. Then go from there. That will at least get you started. I would check Gordon Herigstad's book as well if you have access to it. I hope this helps.

Thank you sir. I figured it was a long shot to ask. I own Gordons book only has the original sale an to the police department there after that no more info in there. Thank you for your time sir!

No Problem anytime. It is what I had to do on my Colt. I got some very interesting history on mine. Do you have pictures of the Colt you are referring too?

Just be sure you are the owner before filing the FOIA. They wont share any information until you submit proof of ownership via the FOIA process. Board member TD can be of great assistance to filing a FOIA, if you search sone old posts youll find some guidance

Ron

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

A state or local as appropriate FOIA request might provide the information as to whom the police department sold the Thompson. FWIW, I have a Colt Thompson that was bought by a firearms dealer and sold to a state law enforcement agency. The state FOIA request response person was very quick to respond and very courteous; but was not able to help as that particular state has a 25 year limitation on holding records.

In any case, best of luck.

• 1 year later...

Gentlemen, 
how can I contact the FOIA?

I don't live in the US so I'm asking. I have 2 Thonpsons, and I would also like to know a little more about their history.
In 2014 I made contact with Mr Gordons, and managed to put one of them in his precise book. But the other... It is blank in the book's paragraphs.

I really appreciate any kind of help you can give me.

Thanks

TSMG_Brazil.thumb.JPG.fd0c2ef38078edc2d5d99dc6ebfdc452.JPG

23 minutes ago, MP_Brasil said:

Gentlemen, 
how can I contact the FOIA?

I don't live in the US so I'm asking. I have 2 Thonpsons, and I would also like to know a little more about their history.
In 2014 I made contact with Mr Gordons, and managed to put one of them in his precise book. But the other... It is blank in the book's paragraphs.

I really appreciate any kind of help you can give me.

Thanks

Here it the ATF FOIA link:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/freedom-information-act-foia

Interesting guns. Please share your shooting impressions of the short-barreled one.

Edited by JJX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 6:15 PM, JJX said:

Here it the ATF FOIA link:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/freedom-information-act-foia

Interesting guns. Please share your shooting impressions of the short-barreled one.

JJX,
I can guarantee you that it's a lot of fun to shoot short barreled!
Initially, when I bought this Tommy 1921, I was a bit apprehensive... because the barrel is very short, it doesn't have a compressor... So I thought that shooting in full mode would be chaotic.
But I had a very pleasant surprise. Even with the barrel so short, it behaves well... Maybe because of the weight of the gun itself...
But the tongue of fire that comes out of the muzzle is much more interesting here on the short barrel! lol
When it is without the butt, it is so small that you want to hide it inside your overcoat.

image.thumb.png.1c27ce68c2374ec8b88fb24773125f77.png

I read through some of the documentation on FOIA requests and the only thing I can find is that "any person can request information".  So far, I have been unable to find any restriction that the person must be a US citizen or reside in the USA.

MP_Brazil - am I correct in assuming you are a member of the Federal Government or the Military?  The reason I ask is that I am a US citizen who lived in Brazil from 2010-2015 and as far as I know I am the only US person who ever applied for and received a Brazilian handgun permit.  It was quite  process to secure this permit, which among many other things included a visit to an official military psychologist, and a very stringent shooting test.  All of this had to be done in the Portuguese language, which fortunately I am reasonably fluent in. Once the permit was approved, I was only able to buy a 380ACP pistol as civilians are prohibited from owning calibers used by the police and military, such as the 9mm or 45ACP.  I was also only allowed to purchase about 50 rounds per year, which wouldn't be very practical for shooting a submachinegun!

This is a picture of my 380 with my 1st year ammo allotment.

Brazil Pistol License - 1 Year Ammo Allotment.JPG

On 9/5/2023 at 9:19 PM, BillyDixon said:

im suprised that some one not in the US could file a FOIA ! any body have more info on this < just sayn

Hi BillyDixon,
I live outside the US, I'm a foreigner.

I made a FOIA record, 3 days ago. So far I have only received an automatic message confirming that they have received my order...
But I'll let you know if this will work.
I'm hopeful this might work.

see you soon

On 9/6/2023 at 12:50 PM, motorgun said:

I read through some of the documentation on FOIA requests and the only thing I can find is that "any person can request information".  So far, I have been unable to find any restriction that the person must be a US citizen or reside in the USA.

MP_Brazil - am I correct in assuming you are a member of the Federal Government or the Military?  The reason I ask is that I am a US citizen who lived in Brazil from 2010-2015 and as far as I know I am the only US person who ever applied for and received a Brazilian handgun permit.  It was quite  process to secure this permit, which among many other things included a visit to an official military psychologist, and a very stringent shooting test.  All of this had to be done in the Portuguese language, which fortunately I am reasonably fluent in. Once the permit was approved, I was only able to buy a 380ACP pistol as civilians are prohibited from owning calibers used by the police and military, such as the 9mm or 45ACP.  I was also only allowed to purchase about 50 rounds per year, which wouldn't be very practical for shooting a submachinegun!

This is a picture of my 380 with my 1st year ammo allotment.

Brazil Pistol License - 1 Year Ammo Allotment.JPG

Hi motorgun,
Be very happy to know that here on the forum, there are people like you, who have already been or lived here in Brazil.
I hope that your experience here in Brazil was good.

Actually having weapons in Brazil is something VERY complicated.
With the Bolsonaro Government, things have improved a lot. However, we had a big setback again, with this new left-wing government.

No, I'm not from the government and I'm not from the army. I am a businessman and shooting athlete. And because I'm a shooting athlete, I can have access to a greater number of ammunition...

Everything you described, about the quantities of ammunition and caliber restrictions, still applies to all normal citizens... A shooting athlete today can purchase 4 thousand ammunition per year. In the last government, 50 thousand purchases could be made. However, being an athlete does not guarantee you to carry a weapon. Things here are bureaucratic in the extreme.

In which city did you live here in Brazil?
Nice gun! Congratulations

It is a great pleasure to talk with you.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:53 AM, MP_Brasil said:

Hi motorgun,
Be very happy to know that here on the forum, there are people like you, who have already been or lived here in Brazil.
I hope that your experience here in Brazil was good.

Actually having weapons in Brazil is something VERY complicated.
With the Bolsonaro Government, things have improved a lot. However, we had a big setback again, with this new left-wing government.

No, I'm not from the government and I'm not from the army. I am a businessman and shooting athlete. And because I'm a shooting athlete, I can have access to a greater number of ammunition...

Everything you described, about the quantities of ammunition and caliber restrictions, still applies to all normal citizens... A shooting athlete today can purchase 4 thousand ammunition per year. In the last government, 50 thousand purchases could be made. However, being an athlete does not guarantee you to carry a weapon. Things here are bureaucratic in the extreme.

In which city did you live here in Brazil?
Nice gun! Congratulations

It is a great pleasure to talk with you.

MP_Brazil - rather than hijack this thread which is about filing FOIA requests, I have sent you a Private Message.