Anyone know about Franchi M1962s?

BPinFL

They were all semi autos. Because they were open bolt, the condition of keeping them here was to register them as MG's. Some have undergone various levels of conversion to become working select fire LF-57's, but the number is small. Most have just been rigged up to fire full auto only. There are still a good number of guns that have not been touched and are still semi's.

Don't know the exact number that came in, but by serial number it could be 50-60?

They are nice shooters and the design was essentially copied by Walther. The whole bolt barrel mass riding high, to re-orient the recoil impulse.

I've done the LF-57 conversion and it's kind of a project.

Edited by johnsonlmg41

No legal semi autos ..... they were all reclassified as MG's

As far as transferables, there are at least 2 ....the chrome plated guns that came from Stembridge

I own one of the chrome plated LF-62s from the Stembridge collection. Bought it off of Gunbroker a couple years ago.

This gun is full auto only but I have all of the factory parts to make it select fire...just haven't found a gunsmith willing to do the work yet.

Here is the gun in the 2001 movie Ghosts of Mars with Ice Cube at 1:22 to 1:25.

Here's a video of me shooting the firearm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnUG0Ga5Q9E

post-262001-0-74127000-1655597953_thumb.jpg

post-262001-0-60835800-1655598118_thumb.jpg

post-262001-0-90038700-1655598160_thumb.jpg

post-262001-0-89963900-1655598220_thumb.jpg

post-262001-0-02139500-1655598243_thumb.jpg

No legal semi autos ..... they were all reclassified as MG's

As far as transferables, there are at least 2 ....the chrome plated guns that came from Stembridge

I own one of the chrome plated LF-62s from the Stembridge collection. Bought it off of Gunbroker a couple years ago.

This gun is full auto only but I have all of the factory parts to make it select fire...just haven't found a gunsmith willing to do the work yet.

Here is the gun in the 2001 movie Ghosts of Mars with Ice Cube at 1:22 to 1:25.

Here's a video of me shooting the firearm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnUG0Ga5Q9E

Nice video!

Robert

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the info.

Why is the conversion difficult? Thanks, BP

Parts are hard to come by and I'm still trying to get a hold of blueprints and technical drawings.

I just spoke with John Andrewski several days ago and he agreed to take on the project of turning it into a select-fire machinegun.