Baby Face Nelson Replica Colt Mini Submachine Gun

Sandy,

I wonder if you need to wait on the form 1 approval to install the grip mount. (not the verticle grip)

Why? Because it would be perfectly legal with a horizontal foregrip, without a form 1.

Therefore as long as you don't install a vertical grip your OK.

Of course, I could be wrong, but what would the odds of that be.

Jim C

I'll wait. I'm 2 months into pending and have a lot of fitting work to do, a lot, before installing the grip mount.

If by chance I install the grip mount and engrave the frame AND they say NO you can't, we decided you can't do this, I've got to hide in my bathroom and play John Dillinger or Baby Face Nelson with my illegal Colt baby machine gun.

Patience, Jim.

No real reason for a horizontal grip of any kind, I can shoot it as is till the stamp hits my mailbox. With the CJL comp on, it's a nasty looking weapon, just as is.

Got the wood grip & grip mount fit ( not installed) together yesterday to the fit the 1911 frame- Lot of fine detail work, metal & wood, grinding & filing, grinding & filing....Then do it again so it's perfect Lebman style.

Edited by OCM

CJL should think about offering a kit, I bet it would sell.

-Darryl

82 years ago, you could probably buy one of these or a 1907 Winchester from CJL, from under his Hot Rod shop. All Full Auto and complete. Get some valuable autographs from his other customers while you're at it. B.F. Nelson, J. Dillinger and a handful of others.

Myself, I'd order the 38 Super conversion.

Hope that works out- I'm certainly enjoying my build. It's a cool little historical weapon. CJL says it always brings a lot of attention at the range. I bet.

Can't imagine Nelson opening up the door to a 1932 Ford Coupe and letting the 3 agents have it, point blank, with one of these dressed in Full auto

Insane. Crazy. Mercer, Wisconsin, April 23, 1934 . Little Bohemia Lodge battle.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, not much to report on the Lebman Colt mini build. I think I've worn out CJL's build instructions. Got some needed advice from him on setting the rivets for Grip hanger to frame install. Doing some rivet testing with an old 1934 Ford license plat bracket, close to the same thickness as the frame plus grip hanger. Got some newer tools for the install, mainly some good 1/8th inch bits to drill the frame.

Was looking originally on a TIG weld, grip hanger to frame, but the way CJL does this, you can make it perfect, without an opps. There is no Opps on this project.

Ready to move forward on the install, Uncle Sam.

Think I can probably install and finish the build on a calm weekend.

Hi Chris-

We are replicating historical guns, so have to stay on course with this, other then full auto ! That would be fun but would be emailing from San Quinten. Basically the gun is done and ready to modify, just can't without the Form 1 OK. Don't want to touch it till that comes in.

Only thing I've done is installed the CJL 7 slot compensator and have redone a front wood grip and set up the metal CJL grip hanger to fit .

No modifying, no engraving no nutten yet. Just pieces.

have you shot it with the compensator on it ?

any noticeable change?

i see the biggest things would be , saving your fingers and the horrible violent rise one would have had in F/A .

Edited by StooperZero

Hacksaw Jim-

Have not yet

Edited by OCM

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting progress on the gunsmithing of the Lebman CJL kit. Nothing on the gun, just some practice on the ( hopefully) install one day.

The kit he sent has detailed instructions on mounting the custom CJL grip hanger, on the frame, with steel rivets, about 1/8 "

He was kind enough to send me some extras to practice with - I'm doing the install and installing steel rivets to mount the grip hanger to the grip is a first. All done by hand.

This is my practice run, using a 1933 Buick shift handle tool I made, to set the rivets. Instructions call for a flat punch, but I had this anyway.

I used an old rusted 1934 Ford license plate frame as the material and the end piece cut off on the grip hanger as per fitting the 1911 frame,

worked perfect as he said it would. I set a couple rivets, then set the curved end piece as it would be the inside of the frame.

Didn't do it here, but will Dremel down the rivet a bit to clear ( easily) the frame/slide clearance.

Waiting for Form 1 still, but think I'll be ready now.

OCM

Note: Actually use the 33 shift handle to start the rivet down about 70%, then finish with the flat punch I made, pictured.

The curved/small end of the 33 tool let me work right inside the frame, when I do it for real.

Edited by OCM

Hacksaw Jim -

This will give a better idea- You can see the future grip hanger that will be mounted and the trial run on a piece of it that I cut down ( see last post) to start the fitting, when that time comes. The grip mount, mounts right up to the underside of the frame, then the rivet process begins. CJL manufactured the grip mount curve to be exactly flush to the underside of the 1911 frame. Amazing. Then the instructions show how to fit it to the frame and inside wood Thompson grip. Yes a very interesting concept old HS Lebman and California John Lebman came up with.

Now, the Christmas letter from the BATF.............

I'm at about 4 months now pending. Haven't touched the gun of course but am very anxious. This isn't my first " rodeo" with the BATF so I know the drill.

Got lots of other things to do anyway.

OCM

Edited by OCM

Tax stamp received today..........

Sandy, congrats, I know those long waits are not easy. Can't wait to see you wrap this one up, good luck!

Mike Hammer

Burning off old forum photos, more room for new stuff. Reference , sorry , SOL. Onward-

. Not using a bucking bar, anvil, to set the 3 rivets with 2# sledge.

Edited by OCM