FBI Remington Model 81

Odd you can't post on the Outlaw/lawman site but here ? I can't paste stuff either unless it's in my Doc file. Not that it matters to me. but ?

Sandy,

On this forum, there is a post options group. At the top of the list you will see "enable HTML" . If you click on the box you can paste.

The "Outlaw/Lawmen" forum has no enable HTML option, so I can't paste.

Don't know why, its just the way things are.

Jim C

Sandy,

On this forum, there is a post options group. At the top of the list you will see "enable HTML" . If you click on the box you can paste.

The "Outlaw/Lawmen" forum has no enable HTML option, so I can't paste.

Don't know why, its just the way things are.

Jim C

I figured out the issue with the HTML posting option, and I toggled the option on for all the boards that did not have it. You should be good now.

I'll transfer this post to the Outlaw/Lawmen forum.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

I've never seen a FBI model 81 in the wild.

I would be interested in buying a nice 81 and a Hamer model 8.

If you run across some nice ones, give me a holler.

Thanks,

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Jim,

Are you the "Jim" in the video?

Do you own the FBI 81?

Darryl

Darryl,

No, I don't even own an 8 or 81. It is on my priority buy list, probably in 35 cal.

I will be happy to own a nice standard 8 or 81.

The book that I recommended above is really nice. It's a Collector grade, much like the Thompson, BAR and Lewis Gun, Collector grade books.

It will tell you everything you need to know about the 8 & 81. I just received my copy this morning.

Highly recommend.

Jim C

Yes, the John Henwood book- His book on the Forgotten Winchesters the same, if you can find one.

Used to have a nice Rem Model 8 in 35. Nice gun, LOUD gun , cheap ammo. Good for shooting black bear thru brush, or Clyde Barrow thru a car window. Much prefer the Winchester 07 in 351. Not really pricey guns, should have both.

OCM

• 2 weeks later...

Sandy,

The 2003 Henwood book, on the Remington 8/81, states that the reason the FBI adapted the 30 cal Rem 81 was because they became dissatisfied with the WRA 1907 carbine .

Is there anything in the "Forgotten Winchester" book about why the FBI dumped the 351????

Funny side note,__ the FBI wanted the 30 Remington cartridges down loaded to 351 SL power.

Jim C

PS news flash---------- I just bought a Remington model 8 in 35 cal. It was made in the 1930s. This may be the unaccounted for firearm the B&C posse used.

No, it's fully accounted for in a Texas collection......My Henwood book was donated to a Winchester 07 expert on the West coast, so I can't tell you about the 07.

News Flash..............Pictured here is ( top) Manny Gault's Remington Model 8, 35 that he used at the ambush- Below is Ray Hamilton's Winchester 07. Then a Winchester M1909 10 gauge that was recovered from the death car.

Gault's Rem 8.jpg

Pictured here is ( top) Manny Gault's Remington Model 8, 35 that he used at the ambush- Below is Ray Hamilton's Winchester 07. Then a Winchester M1909 10 gauge that was recovered from the death car.

Very cool! Where are these located? Are the serial numbers of all these listed?

Where did the 10-gauge Winchester Model 1901 come from? I thought the 10-gauge was a mistake introduced by Frost and Jenkins, when they copied the list of the Death Car contents from Webb? Webb only lists a 16-gauge and a 20-gauge shotgun, and those two (Remington Model 11s) are also the only shotguns you can see on the film made by Hinton, excepting the guns of the posse of course.

Cheers

HANS

You are correct about the 10 gauge, good catch. Clyde did have a 16 gauge " whippet" gun he used to kill Davis in front of the McBride home.