It's not Hamer's Model 8,,,but close.

Sandy,

After reading the I'm Frank Hamer book, you and the book peeked my interest in Model 8's.

I beat the bushes and ended up buying this Model 81. It's not a POE gun, but close. The model 8's

were replaced with the model 81 around 1936. I was lucky enough to find this 01/42 dated Police gun.

It has the serial numbered to the gun 15 round removable magazine.

I think you'll get a kick out of it :-) Yes, it is a Rem 35.

Darryl

untitled 20.png

untitled 4.png

untitled 5.png

untitled 6.png

untitled 24.png

Outstanding as always-

Did I tell you , I'm your love child from the Woodstock concert, Mom was called Happy Easter- Dad.

You have my address & my Lawyers too, DAD.

Let's just get even send the Monitor-

Yes I get a kick out of this- Good job Darryl

Damn- It's a beauty.

Sandy

I've had several people ask me if it is a POE gun.

No it's not, the gun is all Remington except for the POE 15 round mag , what Remington called a Special Police gun.

The POE (Police Officer Equipment Co) gun was actually a modified standard Model 8 capable of using their special

15 round magazine. The front grip on the Police guns are longer and wider than the standard guns, they also have

special sling eyelet mounts that required a special swivel hook sling adapter.

Some of the early Model 81 police guns were POE modified, the later guns, as in mine, were all Remington manufacture except for the patented POE mag.

From what I've read, the police departments that purchased these guns were some what PC. These aimed fired guns did not have the almost certain civilian deaths associated with the spraying fire of Thompson"s and BAR's.

These POE inspired guns were as close as the PD's could get to not actually having and using machine guns.

Just another ahead of it's time design by JM Browning.

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

Ahead of his time maybe but my Model 8 was prone to jamming as I've heard others were because of the Browning floating barrel design.

Darryl, you need to find a Krags ( another crap gun ) to compliment your growing outlaw connection of guns. Barrow grabbed one of these, not because he was WWI French, just laying there I guess, when he broke into the Armory.

One of the guys at the Gibsland B&C reenactment had one, Jimmy Gilman, Keith White maybe, can't remember.

OCM

Sandy,

I think I'll pass on the Krags :-)

As far as the 8's&81's, remember they are bygone relics, all blue steel and walnut, between and 115 and 66 years old depending

on it's born on date. I respectfully beg to differ, any gun designed by JMB is not a crap gun. These guns were ahead of there times, being a self loading rifle semi automatic firearm. I expect it will only take a loving caress and a little you tube knowledge to get it to run properly:-)

If it was good enough for Hamer and the boys, I'm sure it'll work for me :-) Of course a little JD won't hurt either:-) No,, not J. Dillinger, the other.

Darryl

Sandy,

If your model 8 was prone to jam you should have added some toast and peanut butter.

Like Darryl said any gun designed by Browning was first class.

A few weeks ago I bought a model 8 off GB.com. Its a 35 Rem, obviously the best caliber in a 8/81. I have only shot about 50 shots so far but it has been quite dependable.

Only about 10 shots were bear loads, the other 40 shots were reduced loads using 200 gr lead and 158 gr JSP pistol bullets. It seems to kick less than the 351, even tho its more powerful.

The long recoil may have been surpassed by gas guns but it did have its plusses. Since the empty case remains locked in the barrel longer than gas or recoil guns, the action seems to stay cleaner. No rusty gas tubes as with the BAR and Lewis Gun. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Remington 8/81 and Rem 11 would work with black powder loads.

Its a difficult thing for any man to do, but you screwed up by selling your 351, you also screwed up when you sold your Remington.

The sooner you face up and buy another Remington , the sooner you will find inner peace.

Jim C

Not another crap gun in comparison to the model 8, I mean another crap gun like a ruby or whatever as the Krags was/is.

I had problems with my model 8, only one I owned tho. It was clean, factory ammo, even took it to a Smith that looked it over, saw nothing wrong.

Maybe the shooter ? Not. Just my experience with one. No jamming with peanut butter, just jambs ..

My 351 sits safely locked with my other stuff, my other 351 I sold a long time ago.

Now that Darrly and CJL both own Monitors, maybe that's my next calling.....will work for food.

As I think my wife told me you can't have enough cars or guns. I'm sure that's what she said. Pretty sure.

Jim C will appreciate this, I own the first attempt that HS Lebman did to build a gun, when he was just a kid. Bought it from the Lebman family in 1979. Been looking for someone to build reloads for it. Western .0001 ammo, rare as hen's teeth. Gun came out of Texas.

DSCN8113.JPG

David,

Have you shot your model 8 much? Reloads? Factory? Any malfunction? 100 yd accuracy?

If reloads, what components? I use Berry plated in the 351. I plan on trying them in the Rem 08.

Thanks,

Jim C

Jim,

I've only put 6 rounds through it, which was factory ammo. I shot it at a 12 inch gong at 100 yards, and had no problem hitting it. Obviously, that's a very limited test, but I really liked shooting it, and hope to put a lot more rounds through it.

Here are some photos of my Model 8.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/Misc/Model8_Compilation.JPG

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David,

For such an old 90 year old gun, it's in great shape, unlike my police gun that

has several gouges in the furniture and the typical safety idiot scratch.

As what you expect with PD guns.

Darryl

It's all about patina - gouges on the wood are historical marks. Same with old bluing. That's my thing. Even in my old cars.

Me too, I guess.

OCM

• Upvote 1

Sandy,

I'm curious what CJL paid for the Monitor. They change hands so rarely

that there's really no norm price tag. A ball park amount would be good.

Do you have any photos of it...maybe a serial number?

Darryl

He's online here, will let him do the talking when he chimes in and explain his gun-

I wonder if any one sells the special barrel nut wrench for the 8/81 guns?

If not, they would be easy to make, just looking at it.

Darryl

CJL might, he supplied me with one for my 1907 Winchester 351, think he made it- If you guys make contact , I guess ask him.