Photo

I'm having a hard time finding useful information on this site?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 MisterB

MisterB

• Regular Group
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

Kahr sells an extended bolt handle on their site; not sure if it's in stock or not. Someone on the boards mentioned leaving the bolt locked back for a week or so, i did that and it *seemed* lighter, but it could've just been my imagination.

In any case, i made my own quick-detach bolt extender out of a 1/2" hex bolt cut down, with a neodynium magnet epoxied on the end. I mention quick detach since it's only held on by a magnet, and the bolt handle reciprocates, i suspect it'll fly off while shooting. I stick it in the bolt handle when i'm charging or locking the bolt back. Works fine so far.

Take a basic 1/2" partially threaded hex bolt from the hardware store and cut it right at the threads. This is important because there tends to be a slight chamfer from the threads to the solid part of the bolt. The chamfer will help the extender sit better in your bolt handle. Then cut it again to the length you'd like to make it useable. Mine is eyeballed to be like 3 finger width.

Once it's cut, smooth out the rough edges. Optionally, get a small neodynium magnet (rare earth magnets that are very strong for their size), and counter-sink the right sized hole in the tip. Epoxy the magnet in there and let it cure. When it's cured, you can go ahead and use the extended bolt handle. DO NOT SHOOT WITH IT IN PLACE.

Nice job finding a solution

#22 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:WW2 history, gangsters, Public Enemies and G-Men history

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

Interesting. Ok, so did they use a different model maybe near the start of the ear, that bad the detachable stock and maybe even the drum mag?

If you get a chance, get a copy of American Thunder: The Military Thompson Submachine Guns, by Frank Iannamico, an excellent resource for all of the variations of the military Thompsons, and their interesting history...it will answer a lot of your questions. :)

https://www.amazon.c...391870/ref=oosr

Rob

Edited by ghostsoldier, 04 August 2016 - 07:29 PM.

#23 Kilroy

Kilroy

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:History - specially World War II, Shooting

Posted 08 August 2016 - 03:10 PM

I've never seen an M1A1 with a removable stock.

Rob

>I've never seen an M1A1 with a removable stock.

Rob

This is the bag that has me confused http://www.ebay.com/itm/322212007587

The answer is in the eBay description: That case is for the '21 and '28 models (not the M1A1), which had detachable stocks.

Rob

Interesting. Ok, so did they use a different model maybe near the start of the ear, that bad the detachable stock and maybe even the drum mag?

M1921/M1928 Thompson's had detachable butt stocks, could take drums (either 50- or 100-round) or stick magazines. They were wider and had a different operating mechanism than the M1s. Their cocking handle was on top of the receiver

The M1/M1A1 Thompson was a simplified version of the M1921/M1928 in an attempt to speed up production and reduce the cost. They did not have a detachable butt stock, they could not take drum magazines, redesigned the internals and their cocking piece was now on the right side of the receiver. These went into production in late '42/early '43. With the doing away of the drums, they increased the stick magazine capacity from 20-rounds, to 30. The earlier guns can take any magazine.

#24 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4816 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:00 PM

I'll admit I spend little time on the Semi-Auto Thompson board.  I check it from time to time.  I do own a semi-auto WH Thompson, in addition to my WH M1 full auto.  That being said, it doesn't mean I don't want to make the semi-auto forum better...It's developed its own following of dedicated SA Thompson owners, and I appreciate that.

So, if there's content here that should be listed as reference material for a pinned post, by all means, let me know, and I will make a pinned post with summaries and links to the most useful topics on this board.

I'm going to pin this topic temporarily until I have developed the content links to the most useful topics on this board.  Feel free to reply with your suggestions.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#25 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:WW2 history, gangsters, Public Enemies and G-Men history

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:14 AM

I'll admit I spend little time on the Semi-Auto Thompson board.  I check it from time to time.  I do own a semi-auto WH Thompson, in addition to my WH M1 full auto.  That being said, it doesn't mean I don't want to make the semi-auto forum better...It's developed its own following of dedicated SA Thompson owners, and I appreciate that.

So, if there's content here that should be listed as reference material for a pinned post, by all means, let me know, and I will make a pinned post with summaries and links to the most useful topics on this board.

I'm going to pin this topic temporarily until I have developed the content links to the most useful topics on this board.  Feel free to reply with your suggestions.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

If I can ever find that old thread of mine about the mag catch conversion, I'll replace the photos with working links, and have you sticky it to the reference section, Dave. :)

I've been searching, but haven't had any luck finding it so far.

Rob

Edited by ghostsoldier, 24 August 2016 - 10:15 AM.

#26 Malamute

Malamute

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

On the topic of searching, if you go to google, enter the search terms, then "site:machinegunboards.com" (no space in any of that between "site, colon, and where you wish to search) it will only give results from this site.