New member contemplates getting a Form 1 for a WH 1927a1

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 giantpune

giantpune

• Regular Group
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:06 PM

There is no CLEO sign off since July 13, 2016 when rule 41f went into effect.  Now you send a notification to the CLEO, but thats it.

https://www.silencer...ublished-today/

I had mine engraved on the frame next to the grip mount ... If a barrel ever needs to be swapped out it would eliminate the need to engrave the new barrel 

The way I think about it, by the time you manage to shoot out a barrel (if you ever manage to do it), you've spent $4k on ammo.  The cost of engraving your new barrel (about $40) is negligible.

Edited by giantpune, 08 December 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#22 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Collecting militaria and firearms. I also enjoy fine cigars and pipe tobacco. I used to have a 1968 mustang, but I sold it to buy more militaria and firearms.

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:47 PM

Ah, good to know.

#23 anticus

anticus

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 666 posts
  • Interests:History, ancient coins, antiques of all descriptions.

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:26 AM

That's right, no sign off, just notification. I did go to the sheriff's office to get the prints. They do it digitally (no pun intended ). Clean and fast.

#24 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Collecting militaria and firearms. I also enjoy fine cigars and pipe tobacco. I used to have a 1968 mustang, but I sold it to buy more militaria and firearms.

Posted 09 December 2018 - 11:36 AM

Fantastic. I was hoping that it would be like when I had to get fingerprinted for my carry permit. I got the form 1 packet from the ATF, and all of the pages are all together. So my next question is, do I give the CLEO copy when I get my fingerprints done (before the packet gets approved), or do send the entire packet as is to the ATF and once it has been approved and a copy is sent back to me, do I then send it to them? I am sorry that I am asking a million and one questions, so thank you guys again for the help.

#25 giantpune

giantpune

• Regular Group
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

Here's the way I've done it since rule 41f.  Its different whether you file individual or with a trust.

If you look at the form 1, its a 3 page form and its 3 copies that are similar but different.  At the bottom of each page, it tells you which one it is.  One for the atf, one that'll get mailed back to you with your stamp on it, and one that you send to your CLEO just to notify them.   Form is here https://www.atf.gov/.../11281/download

On a computer, you can use adobe acrobat software to fill in the form 1.  As you fill in the first one (atf copy), it'll fill in the information for the other two copies.  You can't fill it in with some software like chrome because it won't fill in all the copies.

I pay with credit card, so I fill in my information right in the form 1.   

Then print it out.  You dont have to print all the instruction pages if you dont want them.  Save your paper and ink.

For a trust, fill out the necessary RPQ form and a copy of the trust, or the 24-month exemption letter.

Using the fingerprint cars and ink I got off amazon, roll your own prints on 2 different cards and fill them in.

I took a picture of myself and scanned it and printed out a page of my own "passport" style photos.

For individual, you fill out section 11 in the form 1 and tape/staple your photo there.  For a trust, you leave section 11 blank and attach your photo to the RPQ.

In one envelope, the CLEO copy of the form 1 and RQP and mail that off to the sherrif.  In a larger envelope, the first 2 copies of the form 1, RPQ, trust or 24 month exemption, 2 fingerprint cards, and check if you're paying that way and mail all that to the ATF.  I put them in the mail the same day.

You can have your gun engraved whenever you want.  Some people do it before they submit the paperwork, some while they wait, and some only after they have the stamp in their hand.  As long as you don't make the SBR without the engraving, then all these options are legal.  Its just personal preference.

If you're having the sheriff roll your prints, then I don't see why you couldn't drop them off their copy while you were there.

In October, the ATF also put the form 1 back up on their e-file website.  Its a clunky site and it has some annoying bugs.  But it does work.  You're filling out all the same forms as with paper filing.  The difference is with e-file, you upload a digital copy of your trust and photo and you still mail in your prints to them.  E-file forms are the ones that some (but not all) people are getting back in 2-3 weeks.  When you use the e-file, you never get a real stamp back.  You get a pdf with a picture of a stamp on it.  When you paper file, you get one of the forms you sent in and it has a stamp like a postage stamp with your serial number written on it.

Edited by giantpune, 09 December 2018 - 01:05 PM.

#26 Speeddemon02

Speeddemon02

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Trucks, Games, and Woodworking

Posted 09 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

The CLEO sign off might be due to state law and has no bearing from 41F,  I do not know about you, but I do not thinking of swapping barrels like they were beltfeds.  For me once it is in, it is in unless something catastrophic occurred.  Lasers do not know if the barrel is round or not, but to each their own

#27 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

Thank you very much for the nicely detailed comment because it definitely cleared a few things up for me. I followed your advice and downloaded the pdf and typed all of my information in on it before printing. It looks much neater so thanks for letting me know about it. I don't mind the wait being longer than 2-3 weeks since I don't have all of the funds right now to do the full conversion (I bought a WW2 Remington Rand 1911a1 over Thanksgiving break and my bank account is still recouping from that).

#28 brassmagnet

brassmagnet

• Regular Group
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

My apologies for misinformation on engraving. This is new to me as I have done about a dozen SBR's and always engraved the receiver as it was a permanent part of the firearm.....

#29 marcus5

marcus5

• Regular Group
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:14 PM

My form 1 Thompson 1928

Attached Files

#30 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:58 PM

Very nice! I have been wondering if I should go for the 1928a1 style or not. My biggest problem so far is that I cannot find a complete, detachable stock for the life of me. I can piece one together except I cannot locate a butplate assembly for one. What would you guys recommend: just get the SBR tax stamp and change the barrel and leave the gun a bit wonky for now with the incorrect butt stock, or go all out and go for a 1928a1 look with a horizontal foregrip, USGI stock set with a detachable stock along with the milling done to the frame for an adapter plate, original cutts compensator, a 1/2" foregrip frame to fit a USGI stock set, and a lyman l sight?

#31 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:31 PM

Very nice! I have been wondering if I should go for the 1928a1 style or not. My biggest problem so far is that I cannot find a complete, detachable stock for the life of me. I can piece one together except I cannot locate a butplate assembly for one. What would you guys recommend: just get the SBR tax stamp and change the barrel and leave the gun a bit wonky for now with the incorrect butt stock, or go all out and go for a 1928a1 look with a horizontal foregrip, USGI stock set with a detachable stock along with the milling done to the frame for an adapter plate, original cutts compensator, a 1/2" foregrip frame to fit a USGI stock set, and a lyman l sight?

Again, contact Dan Block at http://www.thompsonstocks.com/ ... He can supply all of your wood needs

#32 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:21 AM

He replied to my message yesterday evening and I just responded, so I hope to hear back from him to see what are my options.

#33 Macho Hambre

Macho Hambre

• Regular Group
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Curio & Relic Collecting. Camping, Shooting, Fishing

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:14 PM

Sarco has reproduction 1928 Thompson Stock Slide Assemblies for sale - check it. 

#34 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:38 PM

I was on Sarco and I liked it, but I'd much rather buy a complete stock if possible before resorting to piecing one together, especially if I habe to go around and find a spring for this assembly that it says doesn't come with it. I have been keeping an eye out for complete stock, but I haven't been too sucessful so far.

#35 95mustang

95mustang

• Regular Group
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:42 AM

Duplicate post
Please delete
Thank you

Edited by 95mustang, 13 December 2018 - 09:36 AM.

#36 95mustang

95mustang

• Regular Group
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:42 AM

Numrich has Enfield p17 buttstock plates that with a little custom bending of the tang for top screw ....it fits a 1928 stock very well and looks so close to original most people never notice.

It's only 8 bucks
A ww2 buttstock for 15 bucks
And a repo but stock slide
You have a very nice serviceable stock for less than a 100 bucks

#37 95mustang

95mustang

• Regular Group
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:44 AM

A piece of GI wood from sarco
15 bucks looked bad , cleaned up nice with BLO finish
Sarcos repop catch 50 bucks
A p17 enfield butt stock plate 8 bucks from numrich
And a genuine sling swivel for 15
It comes out really nice and is all readily available

Attached Files

Edited by 95mustang, 13 December 2018 - 09:43 AM.

#38 TennesseeTaylor95

TennesseeTaylor95

• Regular Group
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:29 PM

What about the bolts that attach the latch assembly to the stock?

#39 95mustang

95mustang

• Regular Group
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

ebay , sarco , numrich .....................just about anywhere for 10-20 bucks

#40 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

• Regular Group
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

What about the bolts that attach the latch assembly to the stock?

To use a detachable stock your lower receiver would need to be altered to accept the stock ... I don't think the older west hurley guns had this feature ... You can buy a M28 stock that bolts on but is not detachable ... That is the option I used on my SBR ... This stock was made by Dan Block.

Attached File  1927A1 Stock attachment.jpg   157.66K   12 downloads