Anybody see any MP38's for sale?

I would love to add one to my collection. All i ever see are the MP40's. Most the WW2 MP40"s are pretty beat up too. I like to pay up for quality. I even prefer a beautiful tube gun to an original WW2 in bad shape. They both appreciate and can shoot them in the meantime.

I hate cash.

Eric

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MP38s are very few, very far between on the market and very, very expensive in any condition. Last really nice condition example of which I know, as I was asked for an opinion on its condition, was sold between two private parties for $45k over a year ago.

There are a number of MP38 tube guns in private hands that are far less expensive and one of these tends to show up every once in a while. I know a CII who built two of them some years back.

MP38s are very few, very far between on the market and very, very expensive in any condition. Last really nice condition example of which I know, as I was asked for an opinion on its condition, was sold between two private parties for $45k over a year ago.

There are a number of MP38 tube guns in private hands that are far less expensive and one of these tends to show up every once in a while. I know a CII who built two of them some years back.

WW2 MP40's are already hitting $30,000 at Vitos. I think $45,000 for a rare gun is not that bad. IMO this country is in for a surprise where inflation and appreciation is concerned. I'm even buying up spare parts. If anybody has a very clean tube gun, i will be glad to consider it.

Eric

I have a tube gun that looks like the day they made it. Absolutely beautiful. Shoots perfect. I would buy a mint tube gun sight unseen but i feel like i would have to fly in and see these beat up WW2 guns in person. I prefer to pay up and get crisp and tight guns. Maybe even clean guns. Everything i see out there looks worn out. Cosmetic is not the main issue. I don't like the loose, wobbly thing some of these guns seem to experience.

I can't believe how brand new my tube gun looks and acts and i wasn't even looking for it. Some dealer just said at the shooting range, did i want to buy it?

I have been stockpiling parts and mags.

Eric

I have a tube gun that looks like the day they made it. Absolutely beautiful. Shoots perfect. I would buy a mint tube gun sight unseen but i feel like i would have to fly in and see these beat up WW2 guns in person. I prefer to pay up and get crisp and tight guns. Maybe even clean guns. Everything i see out there looks worn out. Cosmetic is not the main issue. I don't like the loose, wobbly thing some of these guns seem to experience.

I can't believe how brand new my tube gun looks and acts and i wasn't even looking for it. Some dealer just said at the shooting range, did i want to buy it?

I have been stockpiling parts and mags.

Eric

I have a Wilson that is in excellent condition and it has kind of spoiled me as i am always looking for an all original gun for purchase and what has come up for sale lately has been really worn out looking guns for out of line prices. Your wife did a good job shooting the MP40 she eliminated the threat for sure :) i buy those same targets at amazon.

MP-38s were mostly in use earlier in WWII, and were lost to or captured by the Russians in the east, or Commonwealth troops in North Africa. I think that's why we see so few of them in the US. They just weren't much available to be taken home as war souvenirs. MP-40s were far more common, but too many owners missed out on registering them during the '68 amnesty, which was poorly publicized and ran for only a short time. Those pieces ended up as parts kits, or are still contraband today. All of that said, nice examples of these guns are out there, and available. When they come up for purchase, they won't last long, and low-ball offers won't be considered.

My first TSMG was a beauty offered by the original owner. I lucked into the right of first refusal. I realized that the gun would be selling for whatever he wanted. My choice was simple: buy, or not. I bought.

Keep in mind that most registered tube MP40s were built between ‘68 and ‘86 and that there were many inexpensive excellent condition unregistered cut receiver MP40s and lots of excellent to new parts available during those years. All extremely inexpensive. Making a new tube and using really excellent parts was no big deal during those years so it is to be expected that many reman MP40s will look really good. Having reactivated many, many vintage registered DEWAT MP40s most can be made very shiney and new looking if one chooses to have that done. Fortunately, most owners respect the battle wear on vintage MP40s and don’t turn them into jewelry. Very little can go wrong with an MP40 and all issues can be repaired. Loose stocks will be easier to repair with the new made repro stock parts being made in Latvia and imported into the US.

Kits didn’t exist adter GCA’68 and for many since any unregistered MG could be cut, welded or a new tube made and registered. We are extremely fortunate that the fed MG manufacturing laws remained intact post-GCA ‘68 and that ATF made a huge effort to find a way for new to be made and registered per existing fed regs.

Just because the current scarcity of pristine exmaples of many MGs it doesn’t mean it was always that way. Most really nice condition MGs are in collectons and many are newly reactivated registered DEWATs. Some interesting MPs with bringback provenance have made it to market and these are always interesting.

As I have pointed out before current buyers are way late to the party and can’t expect the best food to be waiting for them.....

Keep in mind that most registered tube MP40s were built between ‘68 and ‘86 and that there were many inexpensive excellent condition unregistered cut receiver MP40s and lots of excellent to new parts available during those years. All extremely inexpensive. Making a new tube and using really excellent parts was no big deal during those years so it is to be expected that many reman MP40s will look really good. Having reactivated many, many vintage registered DEWAT MP40s most can be made very shiney and new looking if one chooses to have that done. Fortunately, most owners respect the battle wear on vintage MP40s and don’t turn them into jewelry. Very little can go wrong with an MP40 and all issues can be repaired. Loose stocks will be easier to repair with the new made repro stock parts being made in Latvia and imported into the US.

Kits didn’t exist adter GCA’68 and for many since any unregistered MG could be cut, welded or a new tube made and registered. We are extremely fortunate that the fed MG manufacturing laws remained intact post-GCA ‘68 and that ATF made a huge effort to find a way for new to be made and registered per existing fed regs.

Just because the current scarcity of pristine exmaples of many MGs it doesn’t mean it was always that way. Most really nice condition MGs are in collectons and many are newly reactivated registered DEWATs. Some interesting MPs with bringback provenance have made it to market and these are always interesting.

As I have pointed out before current buyers are way late to the party and can’t expect the best food to be waiting for them.....

Very informative post. Learning more every day and my next MP40 is sitting somewhere. I enjoy the hunt.

Eric

On the contrary, the party is still going on, lots of nice pieces available, only the cover charge has increased exponentially. There are more guns available now than ever with many museums and large collections being liquidated that hadn't seen the light of day for decades. Some of these are new or near new. Course on the flip side a bunch of "shooter" guns have been shot now for 40-50 years and there are certainly some beaters out there. I can think of one older fella that shoots the guts out of some of his stuff and I wouldn't touch any of it unless it was priced as a foreclosure.

The BEST food never leaves the kitchen, so you sometimes have to know the chef and wash some dishes first!

I get what you are saying Bob and im one of those you mentioned who is way late to the party. There is an old saying...those who are late do not get the fruit cup. I think the right gun with the right money us late comers can still get the fruit cup... :happy:

Edited by Petroleum 1

Total serial production for the MP-38 was about 42,200 guns from two makers, so far more rare than the MP-40, which was produced in the millions.

There's a nice YouTube video from Forgotten Weapons about the MP-38 and MP-40. Can't link it here due to continuing site and browser problems, but search MP-38 vs. MP-40 on YouTube.

Where does one find the reproduction parts for the stock? I am unable to locate these items on the internet.

I am finding everything on Gunbroker.com or Ebay.

Eric

Where does one find the reproduction parts for the stock? I am unable to locate these items on the internet.

www.dkproductiongroup.com

Nice link. TY i just ordered some stuff.

Eric

Nice link. TY i just ordered some stuff.

Eric

The last time i checked they werent set up to sell yet. Thx for the reminder i ordered a few things.

Tor you know its not about you. It about D.C. The Swamp.....

Yes I know, no worries. I now have another 38 sample on the way, together with a 43/1, 44, VG1-5 and a pistol. We are working with the ATF now and hopefully something will happen soon.

Edited by tor

Got all 3 orders of the MP38, MP40 stuff from...............dkproductiongroup.com

​Better quality than expected, light speed shipping and great prices.

​Happy as can be. Thanks again for the link.

Eric