Howdy,

I'm getting ready to go pick up my first Thompson. It's one of the Kahr M1 models. I like WWII guns and needed a Thompson to go with my M1 and Carbine! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif I'm 26 years old and live in Central Ohio. The reason I'm posting is to ask what I need to do to my Thompson before shooting it? Will cleaning be sufficiant?

Capt. Sage

Arthur,

Not always the case. If I were you Sage, I would take the Gun apart, clean, and oil.

You may have problems, you may not. However, any and all problems can be solved/Fixed. Also, go to the "Old" Thompson SMG Board and do a search for Kahr. I'm sure you will find a lot of useful information. If you do have troubles, your Gun can be shipped back to the Factory. However, don't expect it to get fixed the first time around. We have a member of this Forum who is a whiz in fixing all Thompson Models. He goes by the name of PK. Also, I would change out the Magazine Catch, and modify to accept unmodified TSMG Mags. Most of the problems that these Guns have are due from the Magazines not fitting correctly. Also, you may encounter your Rear Sight flying off. If this happens, you could use Lock Tight, or Rivets. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new Gun!!! It's always exciting to bring a new member of ones Family home!! I wish you well, and don't hesitate on asking questions. We all try to help each other out!

Welcome to the board Captain Sage,

Kahr 27A1 owner here. Make sure to give the chamber a little extra attention so far as cleaning.. All of the problems I encountered were with the magazines. Once I modified the magazine catch by lowering the top edge by 0.10", and purchased a few handfuls of regular GI magazines, the rifle functioned flawlessly.

Enjoy your new gun! There are a lot of tips on the old board if you want to search them out.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/cgibin/ikon...ums.cgi?forum=1

Howdy, Captain Sage, another Kahr 27A1 owner here who has only had two minor problems (besides the inherent mag catch/mag interface problem). First, the rear sight screws were working themselves loose after putting about 90 rounds through it (Locktite works on that). Second, the first time I cleaned the gun, I had trouble reassembling the upper to the lower. At first I thought the tolerances might be too tight due to the gun's newness. I took it back to the shop I bought it from and we discovered, after many attempts at reassembly, that the shaft of the safety switch was the problem. Their gunsmith milled this down a little, at my request. I have not experienced any problems since. It is a nice gun, for the money (doesn't waste ammo like a 28, but then, it's not a 28). http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif Regards, Walter

Capt. Sage--

Glad you have come on board. There are a lot of great guys here, who know all about Thompsons, and are willing to spend the extra time to help out a fellow enthusiast. I bought the Kahr 1927a-1 and also have a Savage 1928 a-1 on the way. Strange how this hobby sucks you in. I love every minute of it and especially the collecting of parts and Thompson literature. It is a kind of childhood fulfillment.

The advice given about the Kahr is accurate. Pay special attention to the cleaning and check for burrs in the receivers and parts. Feeding problems are very related to how well the mag fits. At some point, you should consider modifying your mag catch so you can use original GI mags. Anyway, best of luck with your toys and let us know how your new Kahr operates.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif Thanks for all the great replies! I'll have to work on the mag release. Where does one get GI mags? I ordered some from shotgun news. Forrest was the name of the company. A guy at work said that this place was bad though. I got my Kahr M1 and then had to leave it at home because we are staying with in-laws! GRRRR! I was surprised by how nice the wood was. it was really nice, with a good grain.

Capt. Sage

PS . . . Where might I get a sling?